What's your longest single handed passage?

That sounds right. I brought an Express 37 back to SF after a 2 handed Transpac that had one fitted, the thing was awesome, I think it could have ripped the transom out of the boat at full throttle.

Great Barrier to Bucklands Beach in an Elliott 5.9

In a 18 -20knt NE!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Stereo speakers crackled out at Motuihe passage. Probably due to it being the continued repeat/replay of "The Cars" - the Cars cd*.

outhaul let go when gybing up the tamaki.

* The elliott was small boat, but not small enough to reach the cd to change it!

I'm in for the solo tasman as well. I'll be using an electric/hydraulic autopilot (AP26) - Simrad brains and pump, but a modified control unit so it has a bit more power. I used the same system around the P.Islands in 2003. Worked well.

Longest solo so far is just around the NZ coast - Wgtn/Nelson quite a few strait crossings etc. You guys win by miles!!

Did you guys notice that all the shorthanded/solo boats in the raound the world races etc now use autopilots? They provide much more flexibility than a vane, and are now pretty reliable... I hope!! Island time has no transom to fit a wind vane to anyway. :)

For cruising I would still go with a vane, 10 times more reliable (conservatively), the guys who race around the world carry three or more autopilots plus spares and still hav etrouble. A good vane will go around the world 2-3 times with no more than routinne maintenance that anyone can do without qa xkilled technician.

Auto pilots for racing just coz they can hold a course with greater accuracy.

But i would still like to see a vane that would work on a multi, using some sort of a feedback system that would allow for dramatic speed changes.

Speaking of auto steering what a few cruisers have done is actually connect their autopilot to the windvane. There was an article in Cruising Helmsman last year. I think the couple had connected an autohelm 4000 to an aries where the windvane goes and got thousands of miles out of it.

I've done about 20,000 miles with basically the same autopilot. All the electrics/electronics are below deck. They power a severly oversize hydraulic ram I had custom made. The only maintenance I have needed is to paint the ram a couple of times, and replace the seals & brushes in the pump motor. I did upgrade the nav computer to give it a bit more power for heavy condidtions, and then bypassed the computer (I use it only for signals to the pump motor controller now, which is a mosfet H bridge) for main pump draw altogether. Probably still not as reliable as a wind vane, (Although I've not personally used one) but it will steer to wind, compass, GPS course and make accurate adjustments for tides, currents, and leeway. It also includes alarms for off course etc... As Squid said, its great for shorthanded to get the best course out of your boat.

Those NKE autopilots are seriously the shizzle. If I was ever going to race solo, that would be my first purchase. They come complete with a brain takes everything into account like boatspeed heel angle etc.. It will surf your boat downwind in big waves, come out of tacks low to build speed before going up. Sail upwind to wind shifts. And a wireless remote..

Yep, surfs like magic. And the remote is worn around your neck, if it gets more than a boatlength from the mother it turns the boat head to wind, good for single handers who go overboard.

I've read the stuff online on the NKE pilots, They certainly look good! However some of the comparisons with other brands are out of date. Mine is simrad based, it has a gyro rate compass, and wireless remote, as well as the "high speed" mode NKE talk about. It does the tack to a lower angle, then tighten up when speed comes up, has tack and gybe prevention, steer to wind and vmg to weather. I'm sure the other brands do something similar now...

ive got a Raymarine system fitted to Oracle....

works a treat..... has gyro compass and brain downstairs.....used it in the last Round north Island race 2 handed...

sails to wind angle true and apparent.... surfs us down waves and through waves upwind too ....about 75% of the time it helms as fast as its 70kg counterpart....ie. me..

We now have the latest Simrad gear, pretty clever stuff. Below 5 knots of breeze it sails better than I do. How sad is that. Above that it still cant see waves and puffs so I think I've got the edge.

This has turned into quote a thread drift! SHould we start another about autopilots, or are you OK with this Squid?

Zen, the AC12 can only deal with a 16amp draw for a short period (5 secs I think). Have you tried it in heavy weather when the boat is fully or overpowered?

I have the AC20, (20 amps for 5 secs) and it still would switch off when a wave broke under the stern. The problem was I use an RPU160 hydraulic pump (thats what is specified by Simrad for the AC20), and it can draw up to 47.5 amps at stall. It does not stall, but immediately it draws over 20 amps it turns off!! I have now bypassed the AC20 providing current for the motor with a mosfet H bridge. This issue is now gone. Simrads answer was to spend another 3-4 K and replace the AC20 with an AC40 - but that still would only have given 40amps (prob enough). Anyway, the mosfet bridge cost less than $200.00. Let me know if you have similar problems and I'll give you the details!

Downwind, if the AP24 has the same programming as the AP26 I have, make sure that it is in the mode that changes to true wind angle downwind - if you surf without that set it all turns to crap!

Happy to talk to you about this if you like 0274543170

Matt

I've got an older model autopilot.

Doesn't use any amps at all.

Mainly gingernuts.

Normally 2-4 gingernuts and hour, unless its over 20 knots, then he requires 6+ gingernuts and a cup of tea...

Sometimes the autopilot shouts a bit. Shouting back normally works. Is getting better at picking wind shifts, working on the surfing bit. Have him trained to pull ropes when shouted at correctly :D

Is generally refered to as 'the Owner...'

Archived