AIS MMSI Number?

Kestrahl

Anyone know the deal with setting up a AIS Transponder in NZ?

It seems Americans have to go thru bit of a hassle and get a FCC license and MMSI number which has to pre-programed by the company selling the AIS.

Coastguard Education in Westhaven administer the MMSI numbers. If you have a VHF, contact them. (West of Richmond YC)

I've obtained 4 MMSI numbers for Auckland based yachts when fitting a new DSC capable VHF.

Officially DSC, which uses MMSI numbers, is NOT monitored in NZ.

However all ships are required to have VHF on listening watch.

You only want the "first and closest" to respond anyway. :thumbup:

I believe VHF's with DSC function will also respond with an alarm sounding if it is turnt ON and hears a DSC call.

I don't know, because I have not used and therefore not read any AIS manual, AIS uses the same MMSI numbers but it does make sense if they do.

If you bought a 406 epirb before leaving NZ you will already have an MMSI number. Not sure about the rest.

BTW, update your location in your profile. It will make people jealous. (and also let them know you can't just stroll down the road to get stuff)

Yip we brought a 406 before leaving NZ and I think posted in a form that came with it... But how to find out our MMSI number then? Apparently you now need a AIS transmitter to enter Singapore waters now days...

Will give them a email.

The rock islands, Palau. Defiantly a step above chch, although it does cost $50 per person to get a cruising pass for 10 days.. and $20 for the boat.

Archived