PHRF Question

Guzz

So next week we are having a staff outing for work on 2 different yachts. We are going to have a friendly race (whilst introducing a bunch of people to sailing) most likely around one of the Squaddy inner harbour courses. One of the boats has a PHRF of .765 and the other has .875. Whats the best way to figure out the winner? Ideally a Mark Foy start would be great so is there a method to work out the time differential or do we just race and then do you simply multiply the times by the PHRF value to get the finish times?

you could just ask MarkM or Jenny at YNZ to sort it out for you - a Mark Foy race would be much more fun than just applying PHRF - the hunter vs the hunted!

I'm sure they'd oblige for a small donation!

Failing that - get hold of the boat polars, course forecast and compute the expected time for each boat over the course!

My q&d no money back calc came out at about 13 mins difference in the start time for a 90 minute sail, well 90 for the faster boat.

but happy if you want to flick me the boat names and when you're sailing / how long the sail you want will be and I'll do something a little less off the cuff.

markm@racetrack.org.nz

Archived