Yanmar Ysm 12 alarm?

Took the Raven for a quick spin today to charge the batterys upon returning to the Marina and shutting the motor down the charging light came on and an alarm sounded I had to turn the batterys off to silence the Alarm.(Even after turning key off)

Anybody got any idea,s what could be the problem or where to start looking I,m pretty much keen to give anything a try but must admit when it comes to the Devils knitting and Black magic I am stumped.

Failing that does anyone know off a good Marine Sparky that works out of Westhaven that could help me.?

I'd be checking the ignition switch first. Have a look at the back of it and make sure nothing is touching that shouldn't be . Could be contacts in the switch itself, probably more likely if its something that has started after being left for a while.

Will do I will put that on the checklist , I,m going too borrow one of those magic Black boxs and go down and do another visual and a poke around and try and dig out the manual before admitting defeat and calling a Sparky .Cheers

Turned out to be a diode had sh*t itself and the rectifier bridge was rooted in the Alternator as with anything these days a new ones cheaper than fixing it at $320 for brand new Mitisibishi Alternator.

Glad you sorted it.

If your engine is stopped by a pull stop, it is a good idea to pull the engine stop first, let engine die, then turn off the Key. It depends on how the ignition is wired, but in some (in fact it's common) situations, the Ignition is wired in such a way that the Alternator sense wire can be disconnected with the ignition switch and when that happens the Alt will briefly output a high voltage spike that can cause issues like you just had occur. If your engine stops by the Ignition switch, then hopefully it is wired differently. Normally the battery is enough of a sponge to stop any spike from occurring, but just sometimes it doesn't workout that way.

Archived