Photo

Marine Electricians - Masters from the Monkeys?

12v dc on a boat

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Romany

Romany

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

Zozza - my only recommendation would be to get two opinions about what you are doing. Without offence to anybody - everybody can be wrong.

I had an issue in my system and one opinion was to replace the loom. I wasn't convinced, had it tested and there was no problem with it, turned out
the alternator was the issue. Had I gone with first opinion I would have paid for advice (cant recall what that cost), acted on it - which woulda
cost $500, and still been left with the bung alternator.

FWIW I found success with an auto electrician in Silverdale - great guy. To look at his operation you'd probably think twice because the shed is a
sh*t fight, but he nailed it (i.e. correctly diagnosed the problem) in one visit.

I now take all my cars to him for servicing, if anything goes silly with electrickery stuff on the boat I'll get him to look at it 1st.

#22 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

That's very true. Find someone you trust, then stick with them. The work on your boat will be quicker and more efficient with an electrician who is familiar with that boats installation.
Unfortunately it is often easy and therefore fairly common to have someone who goes off on an expensive tangent. A boat is not a car, and much of it is often beyond many car guys. Especially current leakage and the huge damage it can do.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#23 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,834 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

I have come across many sparkies of all specialties that fail to do simple basic logical testing. They get into their heads a tangent as IT said and just can't seem to get out of the rut. One of the most common would be flat battery caused by a faulty charging system. Sparky tests battery and says, yeah it's stuffed mate. You replace the Battery and find it also goes flat. Simply because they do not test if there is charge going to the battery or not in the first place. Or even if the ALT is producing it's rated current. Simply no excuse these days for those guys, as there are a huge number of sophisticated testing units that will tell you damn near everything, including the colour of socks you will wear next Thursday.

#24 bazzathemammoth

bazzathemammoth

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Yea. Don't forget that "electrician" is brainy talk for "cable monkey". About all most of us are good for is putting wires in holes.

#25 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,834 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Now now Bazza, don't go putting yourself down.

We can make a much better job of it ;-)

Seriously though, there is a lot to know for sparkies these days.
Especially for those that work solo. Being able to give ourselves CPR is seriously clever ;-)

#26 bazzathemammoth

bazzathemammoth

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

That's the truth! When we got pork chop we went from a basic boat to one with electric everything, 0183, 2k and ethernet networks. It took me a while to understand how it all connects up and works. Bloody raymarine's proprietary everything doesn't help!

#27 Ailys Comet

Ailys Comet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

I've worked my way through a few marine electricians over the years from one-man bands to the big brands.

The only one I trust / recommend / continue to use myself is Marine Electronics (Gavin Dakers team).

They aren't the cheapest but they turn up when they say, they do what they say and they charge what they say. And they've done occasional 'top up' visits or adjustments for no charge if it fits their schedule i.e. they have someone nearby anyway. So you'd use them if you want best value and least hassle long-term.

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#28 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

I'm glad I've kept my boat electrically very simple.

But a lot of lectrical stuff does seem to come down to or from motors, so I do have an advantage by not having that to worry about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users