#11 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationNorsand Boat Yard.

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

You've had a raw water leak? Our original yanmar made elbow looked bad but when we removed it was actually in good nic. It was lined in some bronze paint and cleaned out, looked like new. Take it off and clean the soot out for a good look before buying a replacement.
Speaking of leaking raw water, a word of warning for 2GM20 owners. The head anode when removed is liable to drop water on a oil feed pipe that runs from the block to the head. After some years of replacing anodes, our oil pipe finally leaked oil everywhere off Tutukaka as its steel and corroded through. Only an issue for raw water cooled engines. (4 hours sailing into a head wind, no motor to get into Tutukaka!)
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#12 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

Apparently I don't have leak, but the rust murk telling me it wasn't always like that. I did not planed to do too much with the engine, apart from oil change and anodes, but I have to deal with this for a couple of reason, #1, I don't need any water leak, #2 if I going to get folding prop, I need every single HP out from the engine, so worth it to clean the soot at least. I already started to make up my version for this out of stainless steel, I'll post some pictures about the progress. Not as difficult (obviously the welded version not the cast). When I checked the suggested sources I decided to give it a try.

#13 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

Apparently I don't have leak, but the rust murk telling me it wasn't always like that. I did not planed to do too much with the engine, apart from oil change and anodes, but I have to deal with this for a couple of reason, #1, I don't need any water leak, #2 if I going to get folding prop, I need every single HP out from the engine, so worth it to clean the soot at least. I already started to make up my version for this out of stainless steel, I'll post some pictures about the progress. Not as difficult (obviously the welded version not the cast). When I checked the suggested sources I decided to give it a try.

Will watch with interest nagy, good luck. I have heard of fibreglass elbows but fibreglass burns?
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#14 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

Well, the external tube shouldn't be too hot unless the water is not running. The external one, which is for the exhaust it could be hot and the flange as well.

#15 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Replace it.Ours was rusty looking and thought she ll be right,11.30pm middle of tiri passage she let go,amazing how much water can be pumped in  in a short time.soot through yacht,.20hr drift back to panmure

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#16 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:01 PM

Right, as I don't have the sample in hand, I couldn't make the proper flange, but I have enough excess material to shape it. Also I put a socket for the water intake, rather than a hosetail. I think it will do the trick., somehow I couldn't attach pictures, so here is an external link   https://photos.app.g...y2Wy7HTJUPzNjM8

#17 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Replace it.Ours was rusty looking and thought she ll be right,11.30pm middle of tiri passage she let go,amazing how much water can be pumped in  in a short time.soot through yacht,.20hr drift back to panmure

Basil (Pink Cadillac) told me his blew and water got INTO the engine! Said it looked fine from the outside, no way to tell unless you take the mixing elbow off. The reason why we replaced ours.

#18 Toltec

Toltec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:25 AM

We just replaced mixing elbow on our 15QM $400.00 for the elbow thought standard 1.5 in bsp pipe socket that goes into the elbow found out elbow left hand thread now know why we couldn’t get the old one out so another $108.00 for the left to right hand socket.Am keen to see how your one works out.Ours was 6 years old and we cleaned it out once so about a $100.00 a year.Motor does run a lot smoother and pumps a lot more water.Have heard of some expensive experiences when they have failed

#19 gisywaterboy

gisywaterboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I brought one from Marine Diesel Services in Tauranga, Really good to deal with and quick to put it on courier for me. Right parts first time, Cant complain.

#20 unpc

unpc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

Just had it replaced after about 5 years. $1100 including 6 hours labour at 95 plus gst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users