#11 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

gee a downvote, awesome. lots to talk about here the first is taking undersize fish. Not legal so if someone is doing it then it they should be held to account if possible there and then, however posting grainy pictures with an accusation in a public place is bordering on libel.

I wouldn't do it unless I was prepared to stand up in court and I would be very unhappy if my picture was posted on somewhere with someone accusing me of doing something without the right of reply. 

Back to the fish thing, many times I have been fishing and started catching only to find greed for catching more begins to kick in. It takes a lot of self control to take only what you need. This undersize fisherman may be taking potential big fish but I have probably done a lot  more damage legally. Many times I have caught my limit, and there is a massive difference between a bin of 320's (which I dont take btw) and a bin of 600's. Last year I caught an 850 at Barrier, I was so excited that I forgot all about the significance of the big breeders etc I should have returned it. Over the years my fishing has evolved into one or two at most keepers, not a bin full.

I appreciate that people may not want to confront someone but the appropriate way to deal with it is to tell a fisheries officer. 

Big fish 15lb+ may not be the breeder we think as they are territorial and lazy.Dont move far from there habitat. The thinking now is snapper in 290/320 range maybe more prolific at breeding than first thought.

https://niwa.co.nz/f...pper/life-cycle

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#12 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

Mate ...its only libel when it's not true and didn't happen. What you propose ,i.e.defending what you don't know, is how this crap gets perpetrated. Yeah,I know the fish weren't measured ,etc.etc. but I've seen the same caryy on by people who don't give a rats. And in that same bay over the years. Kudos to the poster. This is how they can be stopped. They would deny deny deny of course but may not do it again --- well done that man

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

#13 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

Cant downvote on a phone but f*ck me you are a tosser mate.

Clipper, I am going to upvote every  comment of yours because you need some love

But I still dont give a rats what you think and I won't join in a crew dogpile and act like a mindless follower just because someone says?  No way bro, I have been burnt before whenever I've done that.

#14 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:30 AM

Been having a discussion fish mounting,sure a 15lber looks nice on the wall of fame,but what a waste of meat. Argument

was I caught it I can do what I like with it,fair enough.

Back to topic,speak up,may not no the rules(cough cough) but 0800 poacher is a start. Approaching someone Hmm could take a chance but is the verbal warranted to ruin your day??

a week ago watched a charter operator releasing clients fish,disgusted and spoke up and got told to Foff and mind my own business.

grab fish rip hook out throw back,all under size,mania mussel farm ,mean while nephew I and didnt need to measure. 3 each was more than enough. average 6lb snapper. Starting to feed as spawn is over.

Yep, definitely some feral operators out there.

Film and shame their careless treatment of the planets animals and resources I reckon.

Then, is it legal to film without permission? Is it admissible?

Listened in horror to a similar charter operator on a bed at Kaiarara bay.

Pissed as, carrying on, fishing all night. Had to move out of ear shot.

Didn't fancy ruining my trip with a nasty confrontation. Two of us , 10+ of them.

What would that have achieved, apart from alienation?

I wonder if they could be charged with mistreatment or suchlike?

Can you educate these people?

I suppose it comes under man's unalienable right to behave badly.

Like the savages kicking the WPointer.

Couldn't find any studies done on snapper age versus spawn volume/quality.

https://www.fishfore...-ones-back.html

#15 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

So let me get this straight. You torture a beautiful animal for your "fun", then you release it. And that's somehow ok?

And HT if someone abuses you and you let it upset you then they've won. Think yappy little dog. https://kmccready.wo...ls-angry-human/

#16 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:33 AM

Fishing is torture? Not going down that rabbit hole, I think its commendable that serious sportfishers catch and release although I am not sure of the survival rate. 

The best thing you can do to protect the fisheries is not be part of the problem; do you really need that next fish, shall I keep that borderline one, lets not chuck that overboard, lets pick up that floating plastic bag.... 

#17 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

not nz snapper but think similar results

http://www.fishingwo...-golden-snapper

I fish for a feed not to play with my food!

Kevin I would tread carefully before approaching someone in those circumstances,alcohol comes to mind,

#18 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:07 PM

We don’t fish as it is against our religion.

We belong to a Squeamish sect that only allows the purchase and consumption of fish that is born dead and filleted usually available at the local supermarket.

Re the torture factor, we never quite got the tow it around foul hooked in the eye and then deposit it still alive in the chilly bin to collectively gasp until dead along with other members of it’s whanau.

The Squeamish strongly believe in the maxim do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

#19 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

Report was made to MPI.

Mate - I wasn't asking for any advice and I can tell right from wrong.  I can also estimate the size of a 15cm snapper from 50m using binoculars, just to clear that up.  Perhaps some reading around libel laws would be instructive for you as well.

Kevin - feel free to deal with a similar situation however you judge to be the best way.  I'll do the same and refrain from criticising your methods as I definitely won't be near enough to you to witness it.

To me it is theft to be taking these fish.  It is against the law and that is not an opinion.

#20 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

Fishing is torture? Not going down that rabbit hole, I think its commendable that serious sportfishers catch and release although I am not sure of the survival rate. 

The best thing you can do to protect the fisheries is not be part of the problem; do you really need that next fish, shall I keep that borderline one, lets not chuck that overboard, lets pick up that floating plastic bag.... 

without going in to a huge debate ,commercial v recreational. You do realise that snapper in sna1 for commercial their size limit is 250mm because of their trawl net mesh wish does not allow smaller to escape,anything under that size when hauled is dead and must be dumped,waste,hence why reccs in sna1 are 300mm to help rebuild stock as current biomass is around 19%. Longlining is best pratice as fish generally able to be released alive.There is a guy in Hawkes Bay who has modified his gear and can release everything alive.So not all comms are bad. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users