Cambelt

Guest 000

The engine in the canal boat has a cambelt, I would have preferred a cam chain.

The manual says to replace it at 1500 hours. The engine has 220 hours on it so everything should be fine. But when we get back on board the engine will not have been turned over for 6 months. I have winterized the engine and loosened off the V belts because I have noticed that V Belts tend to develop hard spots where they go around pulleys if left for a long time. However, I suspect that the cambelt will be one of those flat toothed jobs so I don't know what effect a long period of idleness will have on that type of belt, if any. What to do?

Yes the belt will be a flat one with teeth engaging in the relevant pulleys, it should not be an issue. It would be of interest as to the age of it though. If the boat has / had been sitting in a marina unused for several years I would call time on it sooner rather than later. On a car the rule of thumb is 100,000 Km's, I have seen some that have gone much longer and have seen the consequences when they do break. It is not a hard job to replace them, as long as you have clear access, which of course most cars don't, but motor boats do.

Thanks Steve. The engine was new in 2014. The previous owner had it installed and didn't use the boat much but still ran the engine on the marina regularly. The engine had 121hours on it when we bought her and we did 100hours last year. I'm a bit concerned about the 6 months of idleness since then and it would be much easier for me to get a replacement belt here from Transdiesel than to try and source one in France if necessary. Anyone know how to say cambelt in French?

How to appear a bit dumb in four easy steps:

(1) Worry that long periods of idleness may damage your cambelt.

(2) Express your concerns on Crew and seek guidance.

(3) Go online, find and download the engine workshop manual.

(4) Discover that the engine doesn't have a cambelt as the cam is gear driven.

Sorry chaps.