Sign in to follow this  

category 1 or not

The med kit is another bummer, bloody expensive with lots of stuff that expires. I took the list to a pharmacist mate and together we put together a kit for a tiny fraction of the price that was plenty adequate. (foreign boat - no Cat 1)

Know a bloke that regularly sneaks into Tongan waters without clearing here first. I guess they'll catch him one day.

A few years back we ran into a guy who had been "sneaking" arond the world for 14 years. just got sick of clearing in and out.

The reason why Cat1 reverts to Cat 2 is that you have time expiring equipment on board and these need to be checked each time you enter Cat1.... AND, that you have not removed any items just because you obtained Cat1 once. I am sure a few unscrupulous given the oportunity, would borrow a mates Liferaft, pass Cat1 and then return the raft before they set off. Thankfully we don;t have anyone like that here as "crew" members. :wink:

Customs checked the serial # and expiry date on all the equipment the last 2 times I sailed out of NZ. So Cat 1 equipment must be on board.

A few years back we ran into a guy who had been "sneaking" arond the world for 14 years. just got sick of clearing in and out.

Having sailed into Oz, I can't see how you would sneak in there, or here for that matter. The coastguard planes over there and the air force here seem to see everything.

thanks for that info, :thumbup: now the next obvious question to pros and cons of overseas registration...????

Having sailed into Oz, I can't see how you would sneak in there, or here for that matter. The coastguard planes over there and the air force here seem to see everything.

This was late last century. He had just covered East coast of Canada, US, Caribbean, Central America and was in Mexico, was on his 2nd circumnavigation.

Having a boat that doesn't look capable of ocean passage making would probably assist the international sneaky sailing types. What was that description, 4 kerosene tins strapped together?

Cat 1 flares around $600.00 + -. A flare gun as available in the states (Google Orion flare launcher) would be much cheaper, but the only ones available here are European made ones imported by RFD and I think they are around $900.00 without flares. Cat one is only valid until your first foreign point of entry, it then reverts to cat 2. You will only have the have it redone if you return to NZ as it is a NZ certification and isn't enforced by anyone else. So you can sail any where within NZ's 200 mile zone which extends from the Auckland islands? to 200 miles north of the Kermadecs not sure as to how far it is from there to Tonga but that would be the distance / time that your cat 1 would be legally needed / valid for. As a lot of it is based on the needs of an offshore racing yacht with crew the medical gear is to cover almost any eventuality, even a (pregnancy testing kit) It is far and beyond that most cruisers would carry, and of course along with life raft and inflatable life jackets it all goes out of date seemingly very quickly. Not sure if you would need it if you wanted to sail to the Chatham's as I think there is a gap in the 200 mile limits??