tell tales - or lack thereof - on the dinghy outboard

SanFran

I am guessing that the water jacket channels (excuse my lack of specific knowledge on correct terms here) on the outboard has become clogged up. Motor runs, but gets a bit hot. I had the impeller done a year or so back, and the little 2hp hasnt had that much running - 200m each way to mooring, once a week.

Is there any easy way to try an get the the telltales working again.... any additive to water to try and dissolve possible build up? Be salt build-up is my guess...

That little impeller be my guess.

At least the first thing I would check anyway. They can be a rather temperamental little fellow. Do you normally give the motor a fresh water flush after use?? Fit up the muffs and apply some water pressure and you should be able to force some water through. If it doesn't, then yes you may have a blocked Gallery. If it flows, then that's your answer to a stuffed impeller.

Has happened to me on my 2.2. After a while it will start to work again. Short running doesnt help. Run at low to med revs untill you think its getting to hot then let it cool and try again it will start working again. i flush mine in a bucket because you obviously have no where to fit muffs on these little motors.

2.2 = lightweight.

Westhaven (XYZ pier) have some (smaller 120L ?) wheely bins with a wooden brace bolted to the front filled with water for that purpose.

:think:

I read / saw in an Oz Home & Garden mag that fitting a skin fitting and ballcock with a hose clip on connection near the bottom, allows one to wheel all the water around and give the plants a drink rather than just wasting the water.

The water bin at Bucks hardstand is so contaminated... Used to use it, but Im thinking its worse than the sea water. Will give all options a go, cheers

Contaminated with what :?:

Surely one could argue that the little bit of surface oil is actually helping protect your outboard.

Some may even pay more for that protective extra.

Alternatively someone will be unemployeed soon if you refill before you use it.

Oh the choices we have to make . . . just to go home at the end of a voyage. :shh:

Jeez... Id hate to think what was in that water.... probably been there so long its 90% salt water anyway. Anyone in the fire service out East that could do a community service, and refill it with fresh perhaps?

Back to the thread though. Im not sure how much water is supposed to come out of the outboard 'vents'. The top one right on the underside of the engine drips every 5 seconds or so, and the 2 small holes half way down the shaft spurt out a bit of water, but not what I would call a lot. Is this normal, does anyone know? I think it shows that the impeller is at least working.

working yest but knot up to it for a real job as well.

What brand? Any dealers here / near??

Go shopping and ask for demo to see a motor running and what a new one does.

Archived