Plastic in the Ocean

wheels

. We have recycling and everyone sorts their rubbish and the trucks come and pick it up. It goes to the the Transfer station and then on up to the Landfill and gets dumped. Why?? Because it is too expensive to transport the stuff to where ever it has to go to and they can't cover costs.

Same in Wellington, a couple of years ago I was talking to one of the workers and he said the smae thing and not to worry wasting time seperating it... :thumbdown:

Km is a bloody greenie :lol:
More than most would expect and very actively so.... but in the pure sense of the word, knot the mongrolised wank filled Green Political party sense, they harm more then they help.

It's both easy and fun being green. You want to see the looks on faces as I start ripping all the excessive packaging off on shop counters while asking the manager (they usually arrive pretty fast) why do they hate their kids so much they are willing to bury the world in packaging just to make his corporate boss happier. And as they have created all the crap just for them rather than me, then they can deal with said crap. They have no where to go and they know it. I got applause from waiting punters in a M10 once.

You can also get into them about that clamshell packing thats way bigger than it needs to be meaning not only is there excessive plastic but Us, the consumer, is also having to pay all the costs on shipping a container that's mostly filled with air 1/2 way around the world. One in Dicky Smiths was a shocker. The 1mt cable was probably 10% of the total package, the rest being good for nothing plastic and air. The manager there didn't take it at all well and got very animated. I struggled not to laugh as he was of Indian decent and when super excited he did sound like a cartoon character :lol:

Try it, it's fun and your planet will thank you for it......... once we are all in the fight back.

I've been running a programme of just knot accepting excessive packaging. At time that means I don't buy a certian thing. A loot of the time that means buying it than stripping it at the counter and leaving all the packaging for them to deal with. That has caused a few rows, a ripper in Dicky Smiths (...)

You are the consumer, it is your planet.......... fight back.

Love your work :)

I am all for KM's attitude too.

Although of course, there are two main reasons why we have the packaging we do these days. One is promotion of the product. The manufacturer wants it to stand out on the display from the oppositions. That part we can change as individuals complaining about the packaging and hopefully that then gets back to the Manufacturer. It will take time, but it can change.

The other is a little more difficult, because it is for security. Either security from being put in a pocket/ bag or security from being tampered with. And sadly, you could say that the extremes of that kind of packaging is due to the Sticky Fingered Mongrels rather than the Manufacturer and Retailer. It is not an easy one to get around for some products. However, I imagine that if we still complain, then they are forced to explore other avenues of Security. Packaging is cheap and easy, that's why it's used.

If you CAN NOT change human nature, and to date it has not changed!!

I believe you can and I believe it has been changing. We have seen it in many other areas. But we need more change. We need more education. We need people that actually want to give a damn about this Planet. Many are already, but we need to do more and that comes from the ones like Me and You and the Gvt and so on. But the Me's and You's need to start by educating their Kids and teaching them better.

The Hampton Downs landfill has seen the wheels of what I have driven many times (Metrobulk). Its too expensive and labor intensive to separate recyclable from organic etc so in it goes. Fact. We are only 4 mil in NZ. How many do you think just Auckland can cope with? (environment wise). 40mil? 100mil? Teaching our children its OK to N O T breed, that not having children doesn't mean you are less than others is the answer. More people=more waste, more demand on resources. Thats what is happening NOW in heavily populated cities around the world and won't stop until there is a rethink on this need to procreate. People DO give a dam about this planet, so long as it is someone else footing the bill and doing the work but the one thing humanity can not face is the reality that 400million extra mouths to feed (defecating and polluting..) a year is their responsibility by producing more and more and more children into this FINITE world.

Archived