LED Light WARNING

Got the micro eco dwelling powered up and noticed when I switched on one set of lights the radio (std FM home sort) reception went fuzzy with interference. The other lights didn't do it.

I have a range of LEB bulbs while playing to see which was the best. Only one of those bulbs caused the interference and the rest were fine.

The reading the latest edition of Professional Skipper Magazine, about the only marine mag I read these days, I noticed the below.

So if you are swapping any on your boat just be careful you don't stop your radio working at the same time. Losing BFM, Hauraki or whatever isn't a biggie but knot being able to transmit a Mayday sure could be.

The bulb that is causing issues in the micro dwelling is a MR16 type, the ones that fit std house downlights, and made by a reputable name in the game. So don't assuming it's only bulbs like the one in the photo, the MR16's look very different yet at least one sort appears to cause the exact same issue as below.

Article courtesy of Professional Skipper Magazine. The best marine Mag in NZ.

post-646-141887161782.jpg

Got the micro eco dwelling powered up and noticed when I switched on one set of lights the radio (std FM home sort) reception went fuzzy with interference. The other lights didn't do it.

I have a range of LEB bulbs while playing to see which was the best. Only one of those bulbs caused the interference and the rest were fine.

The reading the latest edition of Professional Skipper Magazine, about the only marine mag I read these days, I noticed the below.

So if you are swapping any on your boat just be careful you don't stop your radio working at the same time. Losing BFM, Hauraki or whatever isn't a biggie but knot being able to transmit a Mayday sure could be.

The bulb that is causing issues in the micro dwelling is a MR16 type, the ones that fit std house downlights, and made by a reputable name in the game. So don't assuming it's only bulbs like the one in the photo, the MR16's look very different yet at least one sort appears to cause the exact same issue as below.

Article courtesy of Professional Skipper Magazine. The best marine Mag in NZ.

using light switch dimmers for A/C fan speed control can have a very similar effect

You need to be very careful about removing the regulator. The Reg does one main thing and that is maintain a constant current to the LED no matter what happens to the Voltage. Just remember that on your boat, the battery Voltage may drop as low as 10V if an inverter is connected and it could rise to 13.8V when the Alternator is running and if you have a multio stage charger or Alt charge controller, that could be as high as 15V at times.

The second thiung that the regulators can do and this is for the more expensive LED's, is that the Reg can be a what is safely making the LED output more Light. What happens is, thye switch the current on and off really fast. Too fast for our eyes to see any flicker, but by chopping the wave form on for 50% of the time and off for 50% of the time, means they can now increase the current by 50% more, gain more light output, but not produce as much heat. Heat is what Kills an LED. Cheap regs is what causes the RF noise.

using light switch dimmers for A/C fan speed control can have a very similar effect

Just to be sure, too bee sure, too beeee shoree :? :? :? :?

A/C = Air Conditioning fan or Alternating Current fan :?: :?: :?:

And what's more knot all 12V LED's can run, for long, at the often stated 10-30V range. Many are quite voltage specific as in they want 12V +/- 1V max. Some of those if powered by say 24V will die real quick.

Another trap to watch out for.

Yeah I had one of those LED clusters of about 36 or so LED's in halogen Daichroic fitting. It was supposed to go to 30V. I had 24V connected and watched the LED's randomly drop out one by one till I gave up with it.

OK here's an interesting something I just noticed. One of the LED bulb I have has a cluster of 24 or something small LEDS making the one big light. When I turn it off 1 of the 24... maybe 36, LED's stays on, knot full bright but close, and then fades away after about 1 1/2 mins. The rest in the cluster just turn off straight away. I thought I'd cocked up the wiring but when I turned it off via pulling a battery lead off it still did it, which suggests the wiring is fine. The other lights on that circuit work as usual.

What's that all about, any ideas?

There will be a small capacitor in the little regulator circuit. Why it is only allowing one LED to emitt I have no idea.

Or maybe you have accidentally stumbled onto some freak of science. No the LED, not me. The sort of thing where a scientist would say hmmmmm, and then come up with a theory and next thing we all know, Cold Fusion has just been discovered. All due to that little LED running for 1.5 minutes with no power.

I've stumbled on some way of cutting the worlds power needs???? Cool, should be a few bucks in that. Superboats for everyone :lol:

I was thinking capacitor but at the same time 'do I actually know what a capacitor is?' :)

A capacitor kinda works like a battery. They store energy, and among other uses are used to smooth out spikes in DC voltage to protect voltage sensitive electronics.

MR16 type

Hi guys been a while...(looks like TuesdaY is the day to start heading north)...

That. LED type globe gets my FM radio whistling too.....

The home built type , I built years ago has never caused me a problem.

As an aside...the bought multy cluster I put in my nav light turns the green a wonder full solid BLUE......

Back to a standard globe until I can build up a green cluster of my own....

My fluros also can make a bit of noise...

cheers to all.

(If anyone wants to be on a bulk email of our travels send me a pm with your email adresss)

In this modern world led light is very effective and essential product.but it has few bad side such as low heat emitting,for time passing getting fade,Newer technology need to drive down the ultimate cost of LEDs significantly,tiny size has some limitation,fixed color......

Yep :D as I type ! the overhead LED "lamp light" on a goose neck that I use to help my poor old eyes type on this keyboard,....Instanly shuts off the TV reception. Works great for me because it means I consentrate a little more on typing.

But try this......when I tune up my HF on close to 12.400 the little sucker lights up....all by itself with the switch off. Thats one hell of a lot of RF to do that !! anyone else had that happen ?

Depends on how the RF is getting into the LED IB. If it is induction into the wiring, then no it's not much power at all. What will be happening is that somewhere, there is a piece of wire that is "tuned" to 12.4Mhz and that is then inducing a small "stray" current into your wiring. Ensure the Coax running to the antenna up the on the back stay is kept clear of any electric wiring. Make sure the Earth cable is lead back to the common Earth connection at the Motor. Make sure those anodes are kept in tip top condition :wink:

Archived