NEW AMEWRICAS CUP RULES FAVOUR THE DEAFENDER

sailinghigh

U LISTENING TO THE DRIBBLE ON 1ZB NOW

What's the dribble.

Please quote some.

Yes. Hats the gross?... and what is 1ZB?

Quote from a well respected yachting web site.

"And in mid-April: Dalton predicting the next event, with smaller boats and less crew will cost the same and inferring he has no billionaire backers?? Really?? Poor Dalts! Unfortunately he's already announced the TNZ budget was 180m NZD (very similar to OTUSA) and given salaries are 50-60% of the overall cost."

That's $80m plus for salaries.

Hyperlinked at the site to hear the story.

OC

Sailinhigh, True the teams do train in the same waters and gauge against each other I'm sure, but being the defender and sailing in the challenger series where points are involved is totally different. They could very easily have a convenient gear failure and give points away to a chosen team at a crucial time in the regatta. I think ( just my opinion ) that leaving this as a possibility is very un fair and unacceptable in today's sporting arena. I reckon part of the cup is not having a clue who is going to have an edge over who until the first top mark even then nothing is guaranted as we learnt last year!

And as for the young fellas vs Dean Barker all I was saying was at least put them against each other to sort out who deserves to be at the helm! 2 TNZ AC45's in the World Series? I'm just not convinced putting Dean at helm just cause he's there is not the best thing!! ( just my opinion)

To clarifies some points to date.

The new rules where not a reflection on Coutts's agenda as Dalton finger pointing and claims that he stated. They where Gary Jobson's suggestions by letter form to Larry Ellison. 2013

He also suggested the rules should not be ONE class.

Suggested the time limit 40mins for a 10-mile race was not realistic. His suggestion was that the minimum wind limit should have been higher than the limit they imposed or the time limit should have been extended.

Plus sailing together the challengers and defenders race together was his suggestion.

Also suggested that perhaps the top four finishers in the fleet-race trials would qualify for a match-race semi-finals. The winners of those matches would meet for the America’s Cup. As an alternative, the top four challengers might eliminate down to one team, and the top defenders would have their own match-race series. The winners of both brackets would meet in the Cup final. This concept was used in the Olympic Games between 1992 and 2000.

I think sponsorship should also be restricted to a Countries nationality funding identity.

Emirates Team NZ was not truly a NZ Challenge. If a challenger can't fund their challenge from there own counties / Corporate, Companies, citizens funds, then they should not be allowed to challenge as The America’s Cup Deed of Gift was written as a perpetual Challenge Cup for friendly competition between individual foreign countries.

He also stated he would like to see / hoped the next AC boats will be able to sail with 37 mph plus MSLW.

Size on boat he stated a AC 74-foot plus range might work well. Hint Soft sails.

Quoted many discussions suggestions have transpired that the America’s Cup should be managed by an independent commissioner, similar to other sports. The commissioner’s mission would be to manage the event, ensure fairness, and raise the profile of the Cup. Law experts told him changing the America’s Cup Deed of Gift would be very difficult.

OC

Archived