So much for supportting NZ industries?????

SloopJohnB

Was wondering what happened to the other ships.

Did our yards have the capacity to do the work?

"Hart has another vessel, the luxury 77-metre Weta, moored in Whangarei undergoing a long refit after being towed from Chile as little more than a hull.

Hart used to own another ship named Ulysses. The more modest 51-metre long ship sat for years at Auckland's Viaduct, fully crewed and polished but going nowhere. Now renamed Grand Rusalina, it proved to have major engine problems. It is undergoing repairs in Monaco but it is not clear who owns it now."

107mts would be to much of a stretch for most yards here I'd think.

U77 is in Whangarei getting finished.

U51 was sold and is now in the Med I think.

U21 is in Orakei Marina.

Agree with you Knot

Not too many places in NZ geared to that scale of build, or indeed the overheads involved

U 21 is going on the foredeck of this baby and I understand his recently aquired Hanse 575? is going on it too :wtf:

Guess so IT :oops:

It would be a bitch to float after being built at Alloy :lol:

Whangarei would be possible but you are talking tying up a pretty major size slip way for a good period of time and then you have to have some reasonably skilled labour.

The old Fitzroy in NP would be another candidate and that could have kept a few people going but guess the physical size of the beast not just length but the beam at 18 metres plus height shortens up the options pretty dramatically.

That's what the big lads do Sloop. There are marine chains in NZ actively trashing and pushing out NZ manufacturers, big marine brand names doing the Google book fiddle so only get tax refunds and pay none, aussie owned one actively selling sh*t and dumbing down our market. It's 2014 and just the way it works these days.

Archived