International 14 versus Javelin

cep32

I'm guessing there's a few of you that have sailed both. How big is the step up to an International 14? Are they narrower and hence feel more unstable? I figure I could keep an old set of Javelin sails for when we don't want all the craziness of twin trapezing.

I'm guessing there's a few of you that have sailed both. How big is the step up to an International 14? Are they narrower and hence feel more unstable? I figure I could keep an old set of Javelin sails for when we don't want all the craziness of twin trapezing.

Yep, sailed both extensively.

You won't use your Jav sails on an I14.

They are not overly different to sail really. Just the helm being on the wire all the time.

The Javelin is the easier of the two.

The I14 is way more fun.

Fun is what I'm after so sounds like it might be a goer. How much harder are they to sail? The steps in boats that I've done so far are Sunburst to Laser2 to Javelin. Are we talking a similar jump from Sunburst to Laser2 or more?

I have a mate who sails a Farr 3.7 so he's happy to healm while we learn and then do the progression to me being on the healm. Maybe it's time for me to get back out in the Contender to get used to healming from the wire.

I sailed I 14's before I sailed 3.7's.

Most of the time the 3.7 is the trickier boat to sail.

2 sail reaching the 14 is a brute.

Upwind and Downwind they are fabulous boats, absolutely beautiful to sail.

If you can sail a 3.7 broad reaching in 25 knots then a 14 is a doddle.

We hardly ever capsized the 14, but the 3.7.... well thats another story.

the step from a Jav to the 14 is smaller than from a Phase ii to a Javelin.

Hi Guys, just picked up an NZ14, have sailed Javs and I14s many moons ago. Kevlar main has succumbed to the passing through of a previous skipper and not repairable. $2k for a new main is not within budget. Does anyone have a spare kevlar main I could have/purchase. Roger.

Archived