Con Thode

I sailed with him on SONZ in 1990 and 1993, both trips were supposedly his last voyage, 93 actually was.

It was only the 1993 voyage that he first opened up and spoke about his part in the war, 40 teenagers spell bound for 2.5hrs, no glorifying, it was just the way it was.

Also the best boat handler I have ever seen, all with no fuss.

I sailed with him on SONZ in 1990 and 1993, both trips were supposedly his last voyage, 93 actually was.

It was only the 1993 voyage that he first opened up and spoke about his part in the war, 40 teenagers spell bound for 2.5hrs, no glorifying, it was just the way it was.

That Voyage!!!

Graham I was looking through the photos I took on that voyage.

What a crew: Con, Chris, Lisa Duder, Tim Rynd, Mike Webster, Janet Watkins, Fergus, Kevin.

Do you remember Con towing the old Whitbread Maxi off the wharf at Opua with the ship?

Guest Saturday Night Special

Con and my grandfather used to take a young crew away in Kahurangi At Christmas the boat was lent to Con and Napier Roper for this very purpose in the late 50s early 60s by Lawrence Nathan

Twist and I had a memorable Te Kouma race with Con on Iorangi , early/mid 2000's? ,where we were privileged to hear some of his life experiences before , during and after the war.

A great man.

Archived