Solar panel for top up

jonathan

I have a massive genset so bulk charging is never an issue, my problem is the boat is on piles so over winter there are slow leaks....  as long as I can start the genset all is well.    It would also allow me to run anchor lights on a timer if leaving boat for a few days somewhere.   What do you need?  a small solar panel and controller?  do you disconnect before charging other ways etc?

As long as it is a regulated source, you can just leave it permanently connected. Work out the load (the anchor light, although not legally required if on a permanent mooring, still a good idea) of the required light, + the loss of the battery over time, and get a panel big enough to trickle charge that plus a bit spare. That way the light will go, and the batts will be full every day. 

If you want, I have a Tri-Color/Anchor light available that has a photo voltaic switch - no timer required, and draws about 0.15 amps/hr. They are a great light if you want one, but you may be able to come up with a cheaper solution. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss...

Matt 

wow thats a low amp light my current anchor light draws 2.2 amps the tri colour even more

can see it for miles, having a 5kw genset means you don't normally worry about power draw....   we use that to run the fridge freezer which needs running 2 x 45 mins per day to stay rock solid frozen freezer...   so its really only a on anchor issue, on the piles no need for lights we are clear of everyone, just trickle over winter i have a 200mA loss i cannot find and have looked hard ok for about 2 months i can still start genset after that a lottery normally haul start batter home to recharge...   

I saw a decent sized boat with maasthead strobe the other day , i didnt think they where legal? I know a few people who have one they can switch on in crap conditions tho

The light I have is, of course, LED. It is an Anchor, strobe, and Tricolour. similar draw for each function. Strobes are not part of your nav lights, but often useful in  SAR situations where they can be seen from a greater distance than the colreg nav lights. The units I have were designed for the vendee globe boats. They include a vertical strobe for  location from aircraft, visible up to 4 miles.

By the way - your anchor light is required to be visible for a min of 2 miles, but i'd be really surprised if your light can be seen from further than this led. It is very bright, and very white.

The cases on your batts clean and dry? Free of salts and oils? It is not uncommon to see a drain like that even with the batt cables off, if the batts are a bit damp/salty or oily...

Archived