Dangerous seacock and new invention

Kevin McCready

The photo shows a plastic Philmac agricultural ball valve which was used as a seacock on my boat. A simple rubbery sea creature about 2 mm diameter was enough to jam in the ball valve so that it couldn't be turned off properly. Caught behind were also bits of seaweed. So flow to the engine cooling was rather reduced.

philmac cock.jpg

rubbery squid blocked seacock.jpg

When we came to clear it, the white disk and associated o-rings which make the seal on the ball valve were impossible to put back in their proper place. Even on dry land it was a mission.

We replaced the unit with a TruDesign one which doesn't have any o-rings floating around which will come off when you need to clear a blockage.

Now for the invention: a ball valve with the opening part of the ball sharp enough to cut rubbery sea creatures. Maybe a ceramic ball with an edge like those eversharp ceramic knives?

I fitted a nice  raw water filter a few years ago, about 3 days into the chrissy cruise my wife asked me what the white thing was that was in it... turned out to be a live bait balloon and a metre of nylon. That would have definitely ruptured our holiday if it was the year before.( no proper filter)

IMG_8125_11.jpg

good catch I say.

We have our boat completely kitted out with the Philmac valves which have done over 12 years service with absolutely no issues.

Not sure why you would need to dismantle the valve to clear it, just poking a rod or tube down it should sort it.

We have our boat completely kitted out with the Philmac valves which have done over 12 years service with absolutely no issues.

Not sure why you would need to dismantle the valve to clear it, just poking a rod or tube down it should sort it.

I didn't want to dismantle it. It dismantled itself. The way it is constructed means that as soon as you take the "cap" off, the o-ring assembly tumbles out and is near impossible to put back. The o-ring assembly is a white ring with different sized o-rings on each side of it (one o-ring to squeeze against the ball and the other to seal on the underside of the "cap". The long worm-like rubbery marine organism was jammed in the ball so that the ball wouldn't open properly or close properly. Attacking it with a screwdriver from under the boat and from inside the boat failed to dislodge it. The same jam could happen with a TruDesign, but at least with a TruDesign, once you have it off, there is no drama and fiddle with trying to reassemble it. If I were you I would get a Philmac and have a look at it on dry land so that you know what you are dealing with. If the set-up on your boat means you can clear a possible blockage without taking off the cap you should be fine, but otherwise I'd have a spare or two available.

Archived