Javelin project wanted

cep32

I was a bit slow off the mark and missed out on the Javelin that has just gone. Thanks to the generosity of grantmc, the option of a North Island based Javelin is a possibility. The Dinghy forum doesn't seem to see much action so I'l post here instead.

I'm after a garage project for the winter. As I can't seem to get past a Javelin as the ideal boat for me I figure that's what I need to work on. Does anyone (else) have one stored away unused that they would like to get rid of? The financial controller (otherwise known as "she who must be obeyed") has set the budget at "as little as possible" so I haven't got much to spend. A few hundred dollars is as much as I can get away with so I'm fully expecting to do a fair bit of work to get it to sailing condition. I don't mind replacing decks and want to put a false floor in one so structural changes aren't a problem either. I'm just after a reasonably sound hull, mast, boom, mainsail and jib. Everything else I can make or steal.

The idea is to get another Javelin out sailing when it would be otherwise hidden away in a shed somewhere.

Cheers,

Chris

I asked around at Evans Bay a while ago and at tht stage only the boats that had been done up (and expensive) were available.

I think one of the issues is trying to connect to people that don't use facebook, email or online forums. The yacht clubs struggle with this as well it seems.

Hi Chris

I have a 14" Fibreglass sailing Dinghy on a road trailer which was warranted and Registered up until xmas time (simply have not had time to renew - should be ok). A good little dinghy in need of some loving and presently taking up room in my Garage. I had intended to do a restoration over the winter then sell it but time will be a problem for me now.

I sailed it up until probably January last year when I was out on Wellington Harbour and one of the Chainplates pulled up through the deck. Fortunately I managed to get the rig down without too much damage. I have inspected the problem and chain plate needs fixing to Bulkhead which I have started reinforcing, then some touch ups to the around the dinghy, a coat of paint and all will be good.

Main and Gib are oldish but in pretty good condition , mast and boom are fine. Running rigging has been replaced as have Gib and Main Sheets.

Not a Javelin but a similar sort of size and a bit of fun. 

Let me know if it is of any interest and I will get a few pictures for you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the offer. I have always been smitten with Javelins unfortunately. I learned to sail in one and have owned one in the past so am keen to stick with them.

Thanks anyway.

Chris

Archived