Pre holiday preparation

I just thought that maybe some of the newbies may benefit by this basic list before deciding that their boat is ready for the summer holidays with the family. This is not a comprehensive list, but a starting point. I'd expect most owners to be capable of carrying out this checking, although not everything will apply to all vessels. Feel free to post anything I have missed!

In no particular order...

Basic boat stuff.

Check the thru hulls – can they be opened/closed, and are the softwood plugs nearby? This includes the saildive seacock if fitted – its often overlooked. Check for signs of weeping, make sure the hose clamps are tight etc on ALL throughhulls.

Check the Engine – Clean oil, filters, no water or crap in the water separator? Coolant clean and full, with bright green corrosion inhibitor (the red stuff I don’t like, it can look like rust!). When was the heat exchanger last removed and cleaned? Not to do so at least every 2nd season is to invite an overheating problem, which can ruin your precious break!

Batteries – fully charged, properly secured, and in good order. Any alternate charging systems? – make sure they are working.

Steering – cables, look for play, free movement, no rough spots, no broken wire or chafing. Visually check everything.

Hatches – check seals are clean and hatches are watertight – no one likes a wet bed!

Rig – visually check every terminal, look for rust, dodgy or missing split pins etc. Anything that looks out of the ordinary. Check all running rigging for damage and free movement – make sure all the sheaves rotate freely, including the masthead ones.

Radio/s do a radio check on each set ...

Refrigeration – does it have a sight glass? If so, then turn it on, run it, watch the sight glass. It should start empty, fill up fairly quickly, and remain full. Bubbles passing thru should be gone in a few mins. You do not know if it remains full until the system is fully cold!! If it continues to have bubbles, or does not remain full, then it is low on gas and needs a recharge. If it is electric, or has no sight glass, does it get cold?

Ground tackle. Check the anchor, chain and/or warp. Replace any dodgy shackles etc, and make sure they are moused.  If you are a racer, have you put the cruising anchor gear on? Spare anchor, warp etc?

Anchor winch – when was it last serviced? Check the gearbox oil is full and clean, and the clutches are greased. Not to do so invites a failure.

Sheet winches (and others) cleaned, greased, working well?

Mooring lines, and some spare cordage. What about a tow rope for emergencies?

Safety gear. Should not have to say this!! Check all lifejackets, if inflatable check the cylinders, then blow them up by mouth – leave inflated for 24 hours to make certain they don’t leak! Check tethers, PLB’s etc etc if you have them. The Category regs are a pretty good place to start for an equipment list if you are a newbie.

Clean hull? Not that hard to do with a snorkel if you never let it get to more than slime!!

Dingy condition. Outboard, clean fuel, etc

LPG full?

Diesel and water clean and full?

All the sails you want to take?

Cell phones, waterproof bags, and charging systems?

Navigation equipment for where you plan to go.

Tools

Enough oil and filters to change everything twice?

Remember the PPPPPP rule – proper planning prevents piss poor performance!!

Have a great holiday once all the prep is done!!

I'd be happy to elaborate on anything if anyone needs it, and, as I said, feel free to post more stuff below where I  have missed anything! :-)

• Upvote 1

plot out exactly where the liquor shops and refuse barges are!

And don't forget to include reminders on your plot about public holidays when said liquor shops will be closed! Noting worse than getting to lunchtime on a public holiday and realising the supply isn't going to last the day.