TideTech

SloopJohnB

I tried the minimum subscription to see if it was any use - not really. Doesn't really give any more info than a basic understanding of tides, depths and headlands / channels etc. That was for the Hauraki Gulf. Doesn't have high res files for anywhere else i.e. Cape Brett for the Coastal.

Would be useful for ocean currents, i.e. if your planning on rowing across an ocean or doing something silly like the Sydney Hobart (wanting to know where the EAC starts etc). So you'd need to be a pro maxi to bother using it, need a grib viewer and laptop etc. Most guys would be to busy looking at the weather...

I have used Tidetech for a while, I have a subscription, in fact it turns out I am the only NZ subscriber at the moment! I use the data directly in EXPEDITION, to enable optimal routing. The data that can be accessed includes tidal currents estimated for forecasted meterological conditions, and ocean currents.

In addition to the downloadable forecasts data the site also had "atlas" products of various places, including the Hauraki Gulf and the Olympic sailing venue at Weymouth. The file size is similar to that of the Predict Wind high resolution areas.

Archived