Coastguard

Guest 000

I think it is sad that CG is not funded. In fact, it is of concern to me that many emergency services are not funded in NZ. Having been part of an organisation that existed on donations, it was a pain that 90% of my time was taken up in trying to gain those Donations and only 10% of the time was able to be put into the actual work. For larger organisations, they have to have people full time on just trying to raise the money they need to keep operating. It is a horrible catch 22 and wastes so much money that could go into the operation.

I agree with wheels. Coast Guard and St John Ambulance should be Government funded. Seems unusual that we have state funded hospitals, Fire Department and ACC etc, but some prevention and emergency services require corporate sponsorship and public donations.

I suspect on balance Coastguard prefer the status quo - they certainly have no problem obtaining flash boats but a shame (in Auckland) they are too mean to buy their crews tee shirts - because with government funding comes all the fish hooks that equals bureaucratic control.

RNLI take the same view in UK - last thing they want is the government involved.