I'll never go swimming again

Don't give up on the sea, Wheels. It's much more dangerous ashore. We wintered over one year at Gulf Harbour Marina and as a full time user of the marina facilities I estimated that about 30% of people (males, anyway) don't wash their hands after using the toilet. I remember a tutor on the infectious diseases part of our training telling us with great glee that research showed that you needed at least six layers of double ply toilet paper to prevent fecal matter transferring to your fingers when you wipe your butt. And those 30% could be the ones serving you at the café, handling you your change at the shop, shaking hands with you...

Swim with impunity Wheels, salt is a great antiseptic.

And every flush atomizes a good enough proportion of the doodoos to be inhaled while washing your hands nearby. I always say a good dose of bugs does your immune system wonders.

I read somewhere that people growing up on farms and with animals in the house have much lower incidence of immune deficiency related conditions like asthma etc. I wonder if it is true?

I read somewhere that people growing up on farms and with animals in the house have much lower incidence of immune deficiency related conditions like asthma etc. I wonder if it is true?

I am not sure if the results are out yet, but I do remember they were looking at studying that. Because, yes, there seems to be a lower rate of certain issues with Kids that have been allowed to play in the dirt, and the Kids that have been wrapped in sterile cotton wool. The two main points they were looking at was Asthma and Allergies.

In saying that though, there are also some real nasties that can be picked up on the Farm. Like Leptospirosis, Listeria, Legionnaires. Very rare, but possible.

And up until WWII people were regularly dying from blood poisoning picked up in the garden. I know it's still a dangerous world but being too defensive makes it worse not better. Some of the OSH nazis need to learn that too.