Ideas for events at a Boat Club

Like many Clubs, our local boat club is in need of some inspiration to both improve the member roll and help attract our wider membership to front up. Our Club is all run, and mostly staffed by volunteers, many of whom make huge contributions of their time.

It’s a boat Club with 400 odd members, sailing all classes from dinghies to keelers and of course all ages from 8 to 108. Our sailing classes are excellent and full to overflowing. But much of the time, when I look around inside the Club house all I see is a bunch of guys over 50.

We do have a reasonably well attended racing programme. But even this is somewhat dull, and repetitive (I feel). Most of our racing is typical round the buoy courses. Perhaps like many Clubs, if we compared the sailing programme of 1966 with this year’s programme we’d find it’s basically the same, except for the dates and the significantly reduced fleet sizes.

Nor is this issue about chasing money. We are fortunate in having a central city location, and being well resourced.

So I am hoping to hear your ideas for events, both on and off the water, we might hold to get a bit of spark happening. I guess too, separated into juniors, teenagers and adults appeal.

typical club scenario,we have 400 members and decent amount of members own yachts,yet come race day we may get only 6 for a harbour course but river racing can get 10. I am guilty as do not race in the river often.cost sails gear etc prohibative as it is hard on gear.Do the occasional harbour race(just to make up numbers)crew seems to a issue Most of races are on Sundays due to work commitments.  Use of club house same old 30 members,drink driving has killed it a lot,couple of beers out sailing and home?  We are a bit different in that we have a haul out yard and a lot join just for the facilities.