Deck Caulking

Hi all,

I have about 2 square metres of deck to recaulk on a 9m yacht cockpit sole. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Teak Decking Systems caulking? I was told it does not require priming, is this right?

I would use Sika 290DC except I cannot buy the primer in small quantities. The cost of the primer would end up being more than the caulking itself.

Anyone know where I can get the TDS caulking? Is it as good?

Thanks.

You need to learn how to use Google.

Warning. Don't go thinking it is as simple as digging out the old stuff and squirting in new. The gap needs to be cleaned to new timber. You need to use either a Router or a Saw Blade to cut the gap out cleanly and expose new timber edge within the gap.

AUCKLAND
Nautical Contracting LTD
PO Box 507, Drury 2247, Auckland
Tel: +64-9-294-7696
Fax: +64-9-294-7692
Email: adrian@teakdecks.co.nz
www.teakdecks.co.nz

Orams Marine Service, LTD
142 Beaumont St, Westhaven
Auckland 10101, New Zealand
Tel: +64-9-303-9999
Fax: +64-9-303-9998
Email: store@oramsmarine.co.nz
www.orams.co.nz

top_of_page.png

Hi I re-caulked my decks early this year, a couple of things I learnt 1. I bought Sika 290 dc out of UK for less than $30.00 a cartridge delivered. 2. The UK Sika was a different consistency than the locally bought stuff and easier to use. 3. Bond breaker tape makes it a lot easier to remove the old caulking, just cut down either side with a stanely knife and pull it out. 

Also I used a small tenon saw with a couple of buttons fastened to the blade to lower the groove depth then a small chisel, then cleaned either side of the groove with sandpaper glued to a 5mm thick piece of wood. Did it all by hand, routers to easy to make a mistake for me. 

OK, great, thank you for the replies, I have managed to get hold of a very small amount of primer off a local boat builder so will stick to what I know and use 290DC. I am also cutting it out by hand as its only a small amount, any bigger and I would make a jig for the trimmer or buy a plunge saw.

FYI Wheels,

Thank you for the post, I have used google before, just as I have recaulked decks before. What I was hoping for was an account from someone in NZ who had personally used TDS caulking and how they found it compared to our NZ products.