gazelle mark 1 - hydraulic keel issues

hey everyone

out sailing today and about to put the gazelle on the trailer when the keel dropped, the strop had ripped in two. then the new winch slowed down and overheated making it painfully slow to raise the keel.

i would like to know if anyone has had a boat with a hydraulic keel and what was your set up ?

bolshy tiger now has an aftermarket winch which should be 3 times what is required to lift the 450kg keel, the batteries were charged full, solar. have replaced the oil but now i see oil and bubbles coming out of the top of the keel, guessing it is losing pressue but i dont really know.

if anyone has some tips for me, that would be great,

thanks

Hi Jody, the hydraulics are pretty simple. For bubbles and oil leaks there is a blown hose or seal. I have not worked on a gazelle specifically, but other hydraulic steering, machinery, and my noelex 30 had a hydraulic lifting keel. Where are you based? Either me or someone else on here close by may be able to help. Photos of the setup would help. It won't be hard to fix.

My MkII Gazelle had an electric winch for the keel.  Depending on the cost to upgrade/repair your hydraulic one, it might be worth a considering replacing it with electric.

Just a thought.

Steve

My MkII Gazelle had an electric winch for the keel.  Depending on the cost to upgrade/repair your hydraulic one, it might be worth a considering replacing it with electric.

Just a thought.

Steve

thanks Steve, we have done an upgrade with an electric winch and some batteries, the issue now is the winch overheats and it takes a long time for the keel to lift fully, say 15-20 minutes by the time you wait for the winch to cool down. trying to understand why, oil does appear at the top of the keel, so am guessing a seal needs replacing .... think i just need to find someone that knows there stuff ! it isnt me

Jody, again, where are you based? If its Auckland or North Auckland I can help if you want?

If you have an electric winch it's a mechanical system - if it's got oil coming out when you winch, then the winch is likely lifting against a hydraulic lock - sounds bad! The keel is not that heavy, should be pretty simple to fix the hydraulics or change to a mechanical system - not both!

Jody, again, where are you based? If its Auckland or North Auckland I can help if you want?

If you have an electric winch it's a mechanical system - if it's got oil coming out when you winch, then the winch is likely lifting against a hydraulic lock - sounds bad! The keel is not that heavy, should be pretty simple to fix the hydraulics or change to a mechanical system - not both!

Mine was a MKII Gazelle and had an electric winch with a mechanical pulley system from memory .... no hydraulics in sight.