Gazelle Mark 1 - Hydraulic keel seal issues

Hi,

We have a Gazelle Mark I which has the original hydraulic keel whic appears to have developed a small leak around between to top plate and the keel itself - I suspect the previous owner may have take the plate off in the past and then used silicone to seal it, which is now very soft and gooey to the point the oil has leaked out.

Can someone let me know what we should use for the seal.

Also, we are interested in knowing of there is anyone familiar with converting these to electric as an option....

Thanks,

Chris.

IMG_0024.JPG

Welcome aboard Chris! Is it around the shaft, or the top plate? If the shaft, Its just a standard seal. Take it out, take it to any hydraulics place and get a new seal. Silicon won't work, the pressure will be too much.

If it's the top plate leaking, it probably should have a gasket of some kind? Still not difficult for repair.

Why do you want to convert to electric? Hydraulic is very simple and reliable - this has probably worked fine since new.

If you need help, let us know where you are based and we might be able to recommend someone...

I think by the looks, and the description, the Leak is between the Tank and top Plate. Unbolt it and clean it up and ensure the surfaces are dry/ oil free and clean. Silicon is usually OK. You want a proper Gasket silicon for Oil pans etc. Supercheap and Repco or any automotive supplier will sell it. Gasket paper or Cork will also do the trick, and there are many other Gaskets in a tube products available as well. Permatex is one I use. Follow the instructions on the tube.
I am not familiar with the actual setup you have, but if by chance you ave a  breather on the Tank, which could be a filler cap, ensure it breaths. Otherwise the Tank builds up pressure and will leak.

Hi, I used to own Airobics also a Mk1 Gazelle. We had a failure in the seals of the hydraulic ram due to a bend in the spear (a previous owner had hit the bottom) we removed the system and had it repaired including a new spear. I would get the seals replaced and stick with the hydraulics, it is a simple system and you don't have to worry about electrics and batteries. To remove the system you will need to lift the boat off the keel using a travel lift. It is a good time to fair the keel and paint inside the keel box.

David

Thanks for your replys everyone. I will try Wheels' recommendation first as that should be relatively simple even for me!

If I need to take things further, such as dropping the keel out, is there anyone you would recommend near Queenstown? I'm happy to travel further if needed.  If we do end up having to drop it out then I would want to take the time to get everything cleaned up and sorted.

Many thanks,

CJ