Registration Part B

Part B.JPG

Yes I know we have discussed this before, but this sh*t makes my blood boil.  Just sent this to MNZ:

"I need to renew my registration, but have some questions:

1.        Could you please explain why the registration fee has increased 230% in 5 years?

2.       My registration was due in September.  Reading the relevant charges, my understanding is that if I renew my registration, this will be within 6 months of expiry and the fee should be $804.  Can you confirm that this is the case, I note that Re-registration also covers the same 12 month period.

3.       Are there plans for a process to alert registrants of expiring registrations?  One would expect such a service when the fees are so high.

4.       Could you explain the difference in processing between the Renewal of registration and the Re-registration, for a yacht registered under Part B?  Is there a lengthy and expensive process involved or is it simply a punitive charge after owners have been caught out due to lack of an alert process?"

"Could you please explain why the registration fee has increased 230% in 5 years?"

There should be a public lynching for the people responsible for this.

I am currently attempting to have my boat registered under the Jersey flag.  Hit a few snags, but working my way through them. Will let you know how I get on.

Up front costs will work out around same - but only due to the need for a Tonnage survey for Jersey. Renewals currently cost something in the vicinity of £50 after 10 years. Compare that to what NZ charge after only 5 years - no contest.

If I fail to qualify for the Jersey flag, I will keep searching for an alternative Flag of convenience until I find one. If that means the flag of Outer Mongolia, then so be it.

The NZ Shipping registrar lot can go and get stuffed.