Did someone get a bargain?

On Trademe last wednesday.I noticed a Swan 36 (S&S design) for sale in Auckland.Seller wanted $40k cash by Friday.From the photos it didnt look too bad.I was thinking about the possibilities overnight but thursday morning it was gone.Its an older design and not very large but they are still asking big $euros for that boat in Europe.

Things are starting to get real tight for many right now. We haven't reached the bottom of the economy dip yet. Many businesses are quiter now than they have ever been and are only just hanging in there. So I thionk some are just trying to bail out of their debt as quickly as they can. And the boats will be the first to go.

I honestly think we have a long way to go. This idea of things improving in a few months is total garbage. Right now, some very big companies including a finance company or two are right on the brink of falling over and if they do we could see some major finacial problems take place. Keep a watch on the news this coming week as it could all happen.

That boat has some issues, they brought it on tender from whangeri a couple of months ago for next to nothing maybe 20's.. We looked at it, but it had serious osmosis, wet deck core, distorted hull around the chainplates, stern delamination etc. Always pays to get a survey! So I would say someone made good money and someone else brought a whole lot of issues!

The big thing with buying a boat is making sure the cash you're paying is going to the actual owner. I'm always unsure of how you make sure that there is no outstanding finance on a boat. Is there a register?

You need to check the PPSA register to see if there are security interests registered over the vessel being purchased.

If the vessel is a registered vessel you need to check the vessels register to see if there have been any mortgages on the register.

Hope this helps.

Archived