white island

So the way I read it in the notice of race if I sail white island shorthanded I get to start on thursday.

is this right?

If not we will prob take a lure and troll our way through the bay of islands for our round north island qualifier.

The NOR for white Is talks about Corinthian div and 2 handed then also about Div 1 and Div 2 so I'd say enjoy your fishing.

Also re qualification for RNI how are the out board boats getting on with having to carry at least 120ltr of petrol ?

Also re qualification for RNI how are the out board boats getting on with having to carry at least 120ltr of petrol ?

To comply with the 150nm range and at the YNZ Cat 1 minimum speed (5.2kts for me) I would need to carry around 35-40lts, probably closer to 28-30 if I was real pedantic.

You must have a very thirsty outboard D :lol:

The question is more - Will all outboards get passed by a Cat 1 Inspector?

The question is more - Will all outboards get passed by a Cat 1 Inspector?

Apparently there is a 50fter thats been doing offshore races regularly with a OB so yes

20.08 The minimum amount of engine fuel to be

carried shall be as follows.

LWL(m)

0.135 Litres X

Ross 9.30 = 9.3/.135= 68.8888888ltrs

But also you need to be able to motor for 150nm at 5.2kts = 28.84hrs x hourly consumption

More than 'will' it does :thumbup:

In a real howler hard on a honker a bit more but I doubt more than 2lts. We can motor at 8kts if we like, around 3.5-4lts. Motoring in the low 5's is only 'fast idle' in average water for us. One bonus of a very skinny yacht. Yammy 9.9 Hi-thrust, they are a wonderful thing... for a stinky motor.

My bloody fuel bill runs nearly $50 a season, it's horrendous :lol:

The outside the lifelines OB's are the ones that will be looked at hardest. Those like mine with them in the cockpit holes should be fine and only need to tweak their fuel system to stop any pouring out should they go upside down. Oh and the OB has to be fixed so it just doesn't fall out in a situation like that. I think everyone will be fine with a tweak or 2, there are no raving idiots entered from what I've seen.

LWL is 8.8mts, I'd like the extra 0.5 though :)

But doesn't the RNI SI's over ride that? They say 150nm min. So 150/5.2 (YNZ min) = 28.8 x 1lt/hr = 29lts. Safety factor times 2 = 60lts :thumbup:

First off you need a cat cert so depending on what your doing thats 8.8m lwl is

44 ltr for cat 2

66 ltr for cat 1

thats the capacity requirements for min fuel

then any SI may require more as in the 150nm requirement.

I don't know the large boat that has an OB but hang about , "whats that loud noise in the sky"

I didn't read the SI's super tight so Yeap the Cat 1 Regs do have us needing well more than 150nm range worth. Still a tad less than 120lts though. Actually the Cat 1 amount is just about the same as I'd be looking at loading with my own safety factor. Knot too bad that and nice to know in nice weather we could motor each leg on the min fuel required and probably still have some left over :)

We would have to take extra fuel anyway as we would need to have a genny to get some power bugs into the batteries. We couldn't use the OB due to lack of cooling and/or seriously nasty drag.

So there ya go 930ers, work on having to start each leg with 66lts odd.

TM, 150nm isn't that far really. Devo to Opua is 130 odd.

shame if the two handed started on thursday I could do the 18 nationals on sat and sunday. Looks like skiff sailing that weekend instead.

Why is not just mark foy with no handicap if they are splitting start times?

Archived