Sand / Media blasting Aluminium Port Frames?

I need to remove my cabin ports and replace the acrylic, and at the same time I need to do something about the aluminium frames as the are looking old and tired.  Rather that parting about what I suspect would be big $$ to get the aluminium frames replaced new, I am wondering if getting them blasted by a professional outfit would have them looking like new?

Anyone ever had this done themselves? And if so, how did it all turn out?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Aluminium port frames.JPG

I suspect that it'll end up costing you the same or more to try and recondition those portlights.  I started looking at the same idea when I first hauled Ballistic but gave up on it pretty quickly.  You are better off spending your time and effort trying to get a good deal out of the manufacturers/suppliers for all (six?).

Depending on how they were originally sealed in place it may be almost impossible to remove the frames without damaging the Aluminium - I damaged mine - took me a day of being careful on the first and then 75mins on the second - both looked just as bad!  Then you've got to strip the entire frame down, do a bunch of preping work to it (Wheels will be able to elaborate) and then anodise the frame.  You'll need to replace the rubber seals (if you can actually find a suitable replacement section) - they'll be close to knackkered - as well as well as the acryllic.

Just my opinion base on my experience 2 years ago.

yup - lots and lots of vids around on that.  Basically what I did for the new eyebrow windows on Ballistic.  With all the new adhesives you don't need the screws/bolts these days.

Yep ScottiE has it covered. If the frames were anodized to start with and are now corroding, then the Anodizing surface has corroded through. If you did go for sandblasting, you would have found deep pitting which would leave little material left if you have the pits ground out. Anodizing is the best and great till the day the surface breaks down and it starts corroding. Then it is pretty much all over rover.