Cleaning old silicon

Does anyone have good ideas on how to clean old silicon off painted surfaces?

I have scraped the big bits off but want to get the rest off before I seal the fitting again.

Ta

Selleys do a product specifically for the job. That said I was told that the product I need to remove the silicone and PVC paint for the aqua coat is xylene which is a pretty nasty solvent.

Problem with solvents like Xylene (other than health dangers) is that it attacks the paint or whatever the underlying surface is. There are a number of Solvents available from handyman stores. Some are a paste so that you apply to a silicon bead only and not touch the rest of the surface. Solvents break the bond, but don't really clean the silicon away well and the surface can remain contaminated enough to stop new sealant from bonding properly.
Here is a far easier solution. Cut away as much of the silicon as you can, with a sharp blade scraper.
Get a cup of white Flour and add in water till you make a thick paste/dough. Spread that over the silicon and work it in. It will rollup the old silicon into itself. Then simply rinse it all away with water. It takes the film right off the paint.

Don't know Scottie. I have not tried it personally, but the tip came from a Silicon manufacturer, not just some old wives tale. I am as interested as the rest of you in how this works.