Help! Bolt sizes.

Seated our new chain plates in and now find the bolts won't fit!! 6mm holes and 6mm bolts but the thread as more than the 6mm shank!!its more like 6.5mm. Sh1t. Sunday so not much I can do but what near sizes in SS hex head bolts are there? 12G I think would fit but there are only 12g screws, no good. Is there any such thing as a 5.5mm bolt? Would that be a 6mm thread? I feel premature greying coming on, opps too late.

beware SS bolt in wood, use plenty lanolin, lanocote, or similar, the thread is probably rolled rather than cut, makes for a stronger thread, but a slightly thinner shank. You could run a tap through the hole. 6mm sounds extremely light, unless it is just for the sealing plate on the deck????

I would presume your old plate were imperial and now trying to fit metric??

Bit like the car I am working on everything is 10mm but no there is one 3/8th nut.

Yep, you too Harry? Tried drilling out the SS in situ and smoke...not a good idea in a kauri keeler. Almost done. Simply put the old bolts back in, no trouble and the M6 nuts fit them..go figure! One too far gone to use so managed to hammer one of the new 6mm bolts in, now the nut jams on doing up and the bolt turns. Have used epifiller so will wait for that to set and see if we can get it to do up....then the f%&ken things are in! Can bloody stay there too. A great way to spend a sunday.

beware SS bolt in wood, use plenty lanolin, lanocote, or similar, the thread is probably rolled rather than cut, makes for a stronger thread, but a slightly thinner shank. You could run a tap through the hole. 6mm sounds extremely light, unless it is just for the sealing plate on the deck????

4 x M6 SS bolts, same as original but obviously from above, not quite! Holes treated with everdure then sealed with filler. The orriginal bolts would probably date back to 1966 and seemed fine. Time will tell Steve.