Foreign passenger vessel embarking/disembarking paying passengers

Just wondering whose safety regs a foreign ship needs to meet/pass inspection for, to embark and disembark paying passengers in NZ? Flag state?

I mean like the cruise ships that pick you up in AKL and drop you off in some other city. They're not NZ ships, so i assume they don't have the whole NZ safe ship management thing going on. What's the deal there? And moreover, do you pay GST on your fare?

R

7 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Just wondering whose safety regs a foreign ship needs to meet/pass inspection for, to embark and disembark paying passengers in NZ? Flag state?

I mean like the cruise ships that pick you up in AKL and drop you off in some other city. They're not NZ ships, so i assume they don't have the whole NZ safe ship management thing going on. What's the deal there? And moreover, do you pay GST on your fare?

R

It is no different to a cruising yacht picking up crew in a foreign country

They are bound by the rules set by the IMO and the state whose flag they sail under - yes, I appreciate the latter is potentially open to abuse. However I doubt if many cruise ships sail under flags of convenience.

International maritime law allows a country to prevent a foreign ship sailing if they consider the ship unseaworthy - a few ships have been caught by this provision in Australia and NZ. That being said I have heard a few stories of very dodgy fishing boats being bought in NZ, re registered to one of the islands and sailing off over the horizon, a couple never to be seen again 

ps same rules apply to aircraft, with IATA being the governing body. All planes should comply with FAA standards, but...