Cavalier 39 or challenger 39

Thanks

I should clarify this will be my 5th boat. Most loved, lotus 9.5. Wife sold it to get a bavaria :evil: now getting what I want, :silent:

Squid, where are you based?

Maybe email me details jamesat3sdotcomdotau

For info on Townsons to Oz talk to Doug Sturrock of Sturrocks Ship Chandlers at the CYC in Rushcutters Bay

He bought a T36 called Windflyte and took it to Sydney. She is in both Sydney and the Pittwater on occasion. He sails the Wed twilight races no extras and regularly beats boats 10 feet longer. Plus he gets to race in the Classics division when those regattas are on. The big thing is getting good covers as the sun is a killer on the cabin top wood work.

So it seems you need to work out romance / varnish vs plastic, and sailing performance vs interior volume.

I'm a sucker for a boat that looks good on the water, and sails well.

Also register the boat in NSW before you go then you don't need NZ Cat 1.

Peter Smith who owned Cavalier yachts sold his Cav 36 Warchild to build a Cav 39 for offshore cruising as he didn't fancy cruising in the Cav 36 - said the 39 was a much better cruising boat and he should know !

Not sure what sort of cruising he was doing? Our Cav 36 has been around the world once and completed 5 trips to the islands, usually sailed by a crew of 2, sometimes 4. Depends what sort of cruising you want to do. Average daily run on the last trip was 150nm. All sorts of weather from nothing to sailing to windward in 50+ knots with accompanying seas & no we are not a hot shot racing crew.Must admit we were thinking about deploying a parachute anchor but always felt safe and secure, always felt confident in the seaworthiness of the Cav 36'. She looked after us well. :D

You're right they are not eveyone's cup of tea. I don't mind them for bigger boats but in smaller boats (say under 40ft) I agree not so good because they tend to result in a pinched cockpit and you don't have the step-on convenience and swimming platform of an open transom. But on a nightwatch they do feel more cosy in a big seaway!

Archived