We need a new word for our sport...

Zoe

Maybe you can help!

I always come up against what to call the aspect of the sport that includes racing of keelboats, multihulls, sportsboats and trailerboats but doesn't include dinghies and windsurfers and cruising (although it might include cruising I guess it doesn't have to exclude it).

I often end up saying 'keelboating' as shorthand but it's misleading. Sometimes I say 'big boat sailing' but does that infer that smaller keelers etc are left out of the equation?

Any thoughts?

Except that if you read my post again, you will see I need something that differentiates other types of sailing from dinghy sailing.

For example if you're calling the Coastal Classic the biggest yacht race in NZ that's wrong because there are Opti regattas with more boats. If you call it the biggest keelboat race that's incorrect too because there are multihulls, if you call it the biggest keelboat, multihull and trailerboat race in NZ then you start to lose people's interest...

I normally say 'big boat race'

But I come up against it frequently and am thinking maybe we can find something better...

Hmmm, I see what you mean Zoe.

Dinghy Sailing certainly takes care of it's self. Although I don't know where that actually stops and enters into next type. Would it be a cabin of somekind? But then Etchells could defeat that a little.

In regards to Coastal classic though, would it be easier to say, Bigest Coastal yacht race instead of trying to differentiate the boats classes themselves??

Oh yeah, met someone you know/knew the other day while out at the Machine shop at Hobbsonville. An ex boyfreind of yours :wink:

It's actually a bigger problem than you describe because Yacht/Yachting or (as in Yachting NZ, Lowry Bay Yacht Club, or Yachting World Magazine, is not a universal useage.

If you tell someone in North America you own a yacht he will probably assume it is a Superyacht or possibly a larger powerboat (i.e. a contraction of Motor Yacht). Any sailing vessel under (roughly speaking) 60-70 feet is a sailboat.

Moreover, if they learn that you call your 30 footer a yacht, they regard you as a pretentious w^&#$@r or possibly just a prat.

A few years ago this led to the replacement of IYRU by ISAF etc etc.

My only (hopefully constructive) suggestion is that you make some use of Sail Sport to differentiate from to Sailing), in the way that Motor Sport differentiates from Motoring.

Whatever terms you end up using, you still have the tendency of New Zealanders to do their own thing (like using Yacht when they mean Sailboat).

Archived