testing the waters

I have not been around for sometime. I got a little tired of some attitudes here and decided I needed a break. Plus I had been called upon to provide (positive and correct) information about the Covid issue and the Vaccine and so on for a couple of large organisations. A long story of why and won't go into it here, apart from say that I have had 2yrs of researching it all and have several medical proffesionals I am in constant contact with that help with Information, Data and moderation of the reports I have been providing.
But I will say that arguing against the nutters that pop up that believe it is all Gvt control, or the Vaccine is dangerous and on and on and on, it is very VERY tiring. So a break from arguements elsewhere was warranted just for the state of my own health.

About 2 weeks ago, I got a nudge that there was a new boating site. No not mentioning it's name. I was told that several had enough of censorship and one had started someplace new. So I took a look. But it soon turned to custard. While a couple of memebers were OK, several others are plain nuts and the vast majority of posts are about how the Gvt is controlling us all, how the Vaccine is bad and all the other false information running around the internet and between some people. Discussions on anything boating related is rare. It is little more than tin foil hat wearers ranting. But the real kicker was that I had joined up under another name so no one would know me. However, one member, whom seemed to be one of the worst at ranting, called me by my real first name. He would have to have access to my personal signing in info to have known that. I felt that was a complete breach of trust and that was the point I bowed out and won't ever return.
So I decided to take a look back here and was pleasantly surprised to see so many questions on Sailing topics. I might hang around and see how it goes. Maybe those that were not so nice are the ones on the othersite. Apart from a couple though. At least 2 or maybe 3 names I recognised from here and they are top people. I hopw they still remain here as well.

• Upvote 7

Hi Wheels, and welcome back.  What you have noticed is the intent of the owner - a refocus on supporting sailing discussion in all forms in an environment with a high signal to noise level.

Many of those who departed are highly knowledgeable and have the ability to add huge value.  We look forward to their return if they feel like it.

• Like 1

By the way, now that I have made my "Hi Mom, I'm Home" announcment, Moderators please feel free to delete this thread if you think you need to. I understand completely that it does not fit the Rules. You won't get any complaints from me at all if you feel you have too.

• Like 1