Gutterboat Racing

Zoe

Does anybody know how to set up gutterboat racing?

I'm keen to get it going as a rainy day option at our local club.

In particular I'm wondering what the best materials are to use because looking at the long range forecast for next weekend I think we are going to need it for our Christmas party on Sunday!

Thanks David, that was a good idea, I rang the Mount Gay contact as I know them, and the equipment wasn't available.

Thanks for your ideas guys. I'm going to get a box full off stuff togehter and let people figure it out for themselves.

BTW in case it's not clear or obvious, this was done as a relay in teams competing in knockout format. Each competitor had to put the PFD on before they started and take it off and put it back on the ground for the next person in their team when they were done.

Just got some more details from the guy who put it together -

Hi Mark:

I built the structure out of standard PVC pipe. The main “gutters” were 8” pipe cut in half with end caps. The rest of the structure was 4” with elbow and “T” connectors. As far as rules, competitors must use only the elements in the kit. For the competition, they race in pairs on a single elimination format. Starting lines on each end, stand across from your partner. Life jacket on ground. After gun, first competitors put on their jacket (must be buckled), put boat in gutter, blow to other end. First competitor takes off jacket and hands to partner. Partner puts on, flips boat around and blows to other end. First team to have boat hit end wins and advances to next round. Hope this is what you need.

I have a vague memory of the cherub fleet in the olden days passing the too windy days engaging in lots of mayhem.I don't think gutter boats were involved though I am fairly sure we were in teams and some ended up in the gutter...

Seeing as the club is in Titirangi I'm thinking I'll get some eco Westie materials organised - driftwood rigging with flax rope, cabbage tree fronds, crushed velvet sails...

I was wondering about sculling a shot of Mount Gay at the end of each leg but it's a family club event!

Archived