Surveyors

Terry B

Hypothetical questions for the guru's on this forum:

You get a second hand cruising yacht surveyed 'cause you want to buy it - and it fails miserably and you walk away. The owner of said yacht doesn't agree with the survey so commissions his own. And the two surveys are so different on some real basic issues like keelson/stringer attachment that you would believe they were surveying 2 different boats. :(

If we accept that both surveyors are reputable then:

1. Why the hell bother with a survey in the first place when you can get radically different results? Especially as they ain't cheap!

2. Who controls surveyors - can you go to their "organisation" and question the reports?

3. Who do you trust? Or is it just a guessing game?

Look forward to your thoughts................. and before anyone asks I wont be naming names as it's a hypothetical question - and that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol: :lol:

I'm interested in the replies to this one. we are having huge issues with house inpections at the moment - cowboys setting themselves up as home inspection companies then using the opportunity to gouge people for "necessary work" they then quote on, at sometimes outrageous prices.

Don't know the answer to this one other than to use a surveyor who is respected within the industry, has lots of experience and is very thorough. Its a pretty close industry in NZ and the cowboys soon get found out.

So are we saying that the "surveying industry" is unregulated - like the taxis?

Anyone can hang their shingle out? There must be a list somewhere of qualified surveyors surely?

Otherwise it's just the wild west - particularly for newbies and the inexperienced (me).

I'm thinking of a career change - hey, if anyone can charge the prices surveyors charge then that looks like a good career change! :D :D

And I have no objection to what they charge - PROVIDED I know they are qualified, experienced people.

Maybe I'm naive. I just thought that given all the rules and regs in boating that people calling themselves surveyors would actually be qualified, registered (somewhere), surveyors.

I could probably sell this beauty if I got the right surveyor............... :twisted:

Undergrowth!.jpg

Archived