Vodafone sydney hobart denial

Guest ynot

Have no idea what you mean by that but I had this in my inbox this morning

'The CYCA might think they hold all the cards on this one but the reality is that against a concerted effort they are damned if they do and damned if they don't (oh nasty, can I help get that pickle fork out of your eye ?).

With their contacts they might be able to get the Sydney water police to ban a second start in Sydney Harbour anytime close to the existing one (yes Sydney really does work like that) but they could not stop a race which started in Pittwater (about 15 miles north) and you would have to think that the sight of an Orma 60 cruising past Wild Oats would be too much for the TV cameras to resist if the start was timed so they sailed past just as the monos left Sydney ........'

Pretty much what's happening with RNI

Why do they want to enter? They need someone to race against don't they? Otherwise its just a delivery.

Its their (the CYCA) race, they can do what they like.

But if there were 2 or more mulits wanting to do it, they should think about letting them perhaps.

Probably more a case of knot wanting to have the mega buck Maxis embarrassed by Multis, let alone a rocket machine like Vodaboat.

Sad really as if they let her play I'd say she would drag more of her kind out and down this way. That would be damn good to see.

Like I said on the home page - just do it. Start from Pittwater at the same time and go. Let others know and they may join in, or not.

Be prepared for some bitching from the conservative dunderheads that run our sport and be prepared to anchor at Hobart coz they won't let you onto Constitution Dock.

But hey, lots of fun and handled right plenty of publicity for your sponsor (regular updates via satphone to the front page of Crew.org.nz!!)

Just had a quick browse of all the ranting in SA on this topic (I really can'y handle too much time in those forums, it getrs boring very quickly). But interesting some of the suggestions coming out, and the feeling that if CYCA doesn't provide what the sailors want some other club will jump in with an alternative that will take over. There's no law that says the current S2H will last forever.

An interesting message for any club, provide what the sailors want or be prepared to wither and die????

IMHO - I did the S2H once, didn't think much of it and not fussed if i don't do it again.

BTW - I hear on the grapevine there is a large contingent of cruisers heading to Tassie this year, no fuss, no media, just going for the fun of it.

But why would you want to do it other than for a publicity stunt? What's the point? No one to race against and most of the fleet will ignore you at the pissup.

Personal satisfaction, and obviously for TVS a publicity stunt as well. Gotta keep the sponsors happy. I don't need other people to enjoy a piss up.

If TVS announced they were leaving Pittwater 26th Feb 2011 chances are some others would join in, if there were enough make it official and get NZMYC to run it (all you need is some dickhead in an inflatable with a horn - I'D BE IDEALLY SUITED).

Once it was announced maybe one or two from NZ would be in, and maybe some from Aus, it just needs someone to say I'm doing it, others would follow.

When a YC makes a comment like this it doesn't surprise that they are still in the dark ages!

‘‘I personally inspected the damage on A-Team and while it is mostly on the rear railing, there is no substantial damage to the boat,’’ CYCA commodore Garry Linacre told reporters.

‘‘There’s definitely no-one hurt on A-Team and there’s not been a report of any injury on Wild Thing.’’

Linacre said both boats would have to file a report on the incident, but didn’t expect Wharington to complete his until after the race.

He said he wasn’t in a position to apportion blame for the incident and the procedures regarding the proximity of media boats to the fleet could be discussed at a race debriefing in February."

I don't think there is a conspiracy against multihulls going on here. To be a conspiracy someone would have to be consciously discriminating against them - the reality is that no multihulls race in any of the major offshore races here. The Hobart races (M2H & S2H, Southport, ORCV series, BWPS series) are all raced in by monohull boats, largely under the IRC rule. Everyone's quite happy doing what they're doing and no one has noticed if there is any dissent or dissatisfaction with the status quo.

I love multihulls and don't have any issue racing against them in a mono. Anything that generates publicity and value for sponsors would be good for an event like the S2H, however given the scrutiny around safety that has been imposed by past events I would have to question how many of the multi fleet in NZ and Australia are genuine Cat 1 boats. There might only be a handful of boats other than TVS who could (should) seriously entertain sailing in an area like Bass Strait.

I think there would be more acceptance of the prospect of multis sailing in the S2H if the Multis organised themselves as a class and demonstrated that they weren't a safety liability. Be honest too - the attrition rate for multis in the transatlantic races like the Route du Rhum is a real issue. A large proportion of the boats have not made it - sailors have been rescued, boats abandoned - it's not OK to cite participation in these events as demonstrating that they're up to it. In 2002 there was a stormy start to the RDR and 3 of the ORMA 60's finished out of 18 starters - if I recall a large number of the retirements were capsizes and dismastings. The CYC rightly wont want to preside over something like that - so the multis will have so show that they can manage this kind of risk.

There was an article recently quoting Neville Crichton as saying that he would like to have a go in a large multihull. The TVS boys should be getting in touch with him and seeing if that means they might have a sparring partner in some sort of demonstration event. The public, the clubs, sponsors and other sailors would all be enthralled by this prospect and it might just leave the door ajar for future developments.

I don't think there is a conspiracy against multihulls going on here. To be a conspiracy someone would have to be consciously discriminating against them - the reality is that no multihulls race in any of the major offshore races here. The Hobart races (M2H & S2H, Southport, ORCV series, BWPS series) are all raced in by monohull boats, largely under the IRC rule. Everyone's quite happy doing what they're doing and no one has noticed if there is any dissent or dissatisfaction with the status quo.

A bit of a daft comment mate - the reality is that no multis race in any of the offshore races you quote because they are consciously not permitted to. Agreed that there's no conspiracy - its a pretty open and well disclosed ban!

I love multihulls and don't have any issue racing against them in a mono. Anything that generates publicity and value for sponsors would be good for an event like the S2H, however given the scrutiny around safety that has been imposed by past events I would have to question how many of the multi fleet in NZ and Australia are genuine Cat 1 boats. There might only be a handful of boats other than TVS who could (should) seriously entertain sailing in an area like Bass Strait.

Somewhat ignorant. There would be dozens of cat1 multis in NZ and probably a couple hundred in Australia - just that most of them are cruising boats - more than capable of sailing in the Bass Strait. Remember that in reality most of the S2H fleet are cruiser racers rather than dedicated race boats. You are only casting your mind to the dedicated race boats of which I agree there are very few. Chicken 'n egg - why bother having a cat 1 capable multi race boat if there are no races at that level.

I think there would be more acceptance of the prospect of multis sailing in the S2H if the Multis organised themselves as a class and demonstrated that they weren't a safety liability. Be honest too - the attrition rate for multis in the transatlantic races like the Route du Rhum is a real issue. A large proportion of the boats have not made it - sailors have been rescued, boats abandoned - it's not OK to cite participation in these events as demonstrating that they're up to it. In 2002 there was a stormy start to the RDR and 3 of the ORMA 60's finished out of 18 starters - if I recall a large number of the retirements were capsizes and dismastings. The CYC rightly wont want to preside over something like that - so the multis will have so show that they can manage this kind of risk.

This may have been a reasonably valid comment comment in 2003. But like CYC after their distastrous extreme S2H, ORMA and the European multi fleet have worked pretty hard since to significantly redress this situation.

There was an article recently quoting Neville Crichton as saying that he would like to have a go in a large multihull. The TVS boys should be getting in touch with him and seeing if that means they might have a sparring partner in some sort of demonstration event. The public, the clubs, sponsors and other sailors would all be enthralled by this prospect and it might just leave the door ajar for future developments.

Rumours are that NC's new boat will be quite a bit bigger than 60' - think 8.5 vs' ORMA60 for comparison.

Chicken 'n egg - why bother having a cat 1 capable multi race boat if there are no races at that level. .

Same reason there aren't a lot of racing proas being built :twisted:

indeed! Like its been suggested many times before and equally applicable to any form of multi you can a) just do it or B) set up your own race.

As Proas are not covered by ISAF for cat 1-3 surely there's an oportunity for crew.org to set up its own 'international federation' and corner this clearly very potentially lucrative hole in the market!

There might only be a handful of boats other than TVS who could (should) seriously entertain sailing in an area like Bass Strait.

Boated thru Bass Straight 9 times now. 7 1/2 of those were under motor due to lack of wind.

I think you'll find many events don't have multis simply due to the fact that until recently, talking more 10 years than 1 here, there just wasn't that many offshore racing Multis down this way. Sure lots of cruisers but very few racers. Now we have a few if they want to play put a case to a race RC and see what happens. All going well getting into a 1/2 decent event will open the door to others and eventually to the biggies like Syd-Hob.

Scottie, our position on this is probably closer than you think. For the record I'd love to have multis doing Southport, BWPS and Hobart with us. I know a few of the guys on the sailing committee at the CYC and they're not exactly establishment luddites either, but they would have to be convinced there's a demand to have these boats participate. The blue water racing multis are invisible and they'd have to come out of the woodwork to be included.

If there is to be traction formed my view is that the Australian multihull association (is there one, or is it a fragmented bunch of state associations?) need to arrange their own event/s, or orchestrate participation in existing ones to show that there is a fleet, that they can race safely and that the 'class' is organised and willing to participate.

To succeed in getting mainstream acceptance in blue water sailing in Australia the multis need to gain participation in existing events (leave the old S2H chestnut alone). In terms of finding offshore races to participate in in Australia: approaching Gosford sailing club or RPAYC and suggesting that multis might participate in their blue-water races might well work. ORCV, who organise all the offshore sailing in Victoria have allowed multihulls in their races in the past.

This would demonstrate there is organisation, there are numbers, the boats are seaworthy and the crews are capable.

I agree with Knot Me - the 'paddock' in Bass Strait is often pretty cruisy. We've often been hammered in the race though and so just like not every mono is up to it, neither is every multi.

One aside about the S2H race is that it is very expensive to participate in. We're planning to do the next one and are already getting our heads around $40k extra to budget for. It would cost the big boat I used to race on a lot more than that - for one race. Your average Beneteau racer-cruiser doesn't have too much cruise left in it once you've spent $200k on 3DL sails, paid your race insurance and stripped it out for the race. If you approached an insurer to get insurance for a multi for the race would they even give it to you?

The multihull sailing scene here is not like that in NZ and there'd need to be some sort of catalyst - more than a press release - to kick start a good blue water racing programme for multis.

IMHO - I did the S2H once, didn't think much of it and not fussed if i don't do it again.

Squid, there's plenty of good gear in the Cat 1 first aid kit to help you enjoy it more.

I sat it out this year because I'm doing the RNI and it was agonising. We're already planning the 2011 Hobart - I can't get enough of it.

Archived