Iridium Go

We are looking at the Island next year. We have Pactor III and if I can get my HAM license soonish, will use Vara as well.

I have used the Pactor a few times in the marina to do a smoke test to the Australian station, but I am just not comfortable relying entirely on the Pactor, so we are also looking at the Go.

The Go seems a expensive backup, so I am wondering if anyone here has one they would be happy to rent out? We would still buy an external antenna.

Cheers

Al

Thanks IT. I may well take you up on that kind offer - not departing until next year. Would you recommend that external antenna?

They aren't all that pricey and do seem to be recommended.

2 hours ago, bigal.nz said:

Thanks IT. I may well take you up on that kind offer - not departing until next year. Would you recommend that external antenna?

Nah, not needed on the phone - just pull up the antenna - its much bigger than the iririum go one.

3 hours ago, bigal.nz said:

Just be aware (last I looked) that the unlimited data plan that is available for Go's is not available for phones, why not - no idea, just marketing I guess.

Plenty of Go's on Ebay if you want one or wait till November when boats return from the islands, usually a couple for sale

The extreme runs on a go sim if you want data rather than calls mostly...

From the predictwind website;

"Perfect for offshore year round or seasonal use, keeping you connected anywhere in the world. In addition to the Iridium GO, our SIM cards and Airtime Plans are compatible with the Iridium 9555 and 9575 handsets"