Law for when a child can first ride a boat?

I can only think of two rules that specifically refer to age, 15yr to be in charge of a power driven vessel capable of more than 10 knots & 12 yrs old to be an observer for waterrskiing.

Otherwise just an appriate sized lifejacket

I can only think of two rules that specifically refer to age, 15yr to be in charge of a power driven vessel capable of more than 10 knots & 12 yrs old to be an observer for waterrskiing.

Otherwise just an appriate sized lifejacket

Grant do you know if it is legal for a child under 15 to drive a power craft capable of 10 kn + if under adult supervision? Ie they are not in charge, but are certainly driving the boat..

Is it Capable of faster than 10kts, or just not over 10kts???

However, Yes it is legal for any child under the age of 15 to drive anything if it is under 10kts. So a 5yr old can legally drive my 26T boat doing 8.5Kts full speed. Crazy eh.

I believe any kid under 15 can drive any boat as long as a Supervisor is within arms reach of the controls.

And what does it matter anyway, who every checks this shite? Rhetorical question as well all know the answer is Mr No-Body and his cuzzy Mr Never-seen-out-there.

There is no age limit on going boating or on a boat though.

It may knot be legal but it is a bloody good idea........ says the dude who 2 weeks ago was in a semi-coma in the bilge, from rum poisoning, as my 11yo drove me back to our boat.

Go for it Smithy - stick it to the man :) :)

Grant do you know if it is legal for a child under 15 to drive a power craft capable of 10 kn + if under adult supervision? Ie they are not in charge, but are certainly driving the boat..

correct, as long as the adult is actually taking notice, in a position to avert a stuff up.

Wheels- is capable of, and yes your example is absolutely correct. Question being would you give your boat to a 5 year old for the afternoon?

in your case KM, is the Mar-Ops found you they would probably remove the driver. probably need counseling, and instigate a viking funeral :lol:

correct, as long as the adult is actually taking notice, in a position to avert a stuff up.

Wheels- is capable of, and yes your example is absolutely correct. Question being would you give your boat to a 5 year old for the afternoon?

in your case KM, is the Mar-Ops found you they would probably remove the driver. probably need counseling, and instigate a viking funeral :lol:

Yeah I'm good like that. Go out of my way to give the team a person doing things very naughty for them to use as practice and what happens, I get invited for a beer :) :)

I ran into the few of the Mar Ops team over Xmas Hols, they have few legs to stand on when talking examples and one couldn't even stand on his own legs more than once :) :) But I did see one in a ding in Kawau wearing a life jacket, he stood out like dogs ball as he was about the only one in the entire place with one on :?

But I did see one in a ding in Kawau wearing a life jacket, he stood out like dogs ball as he was about the only one in the entire place with one on :?

yep, but imagine if you got the photo of him without one....

a bloke could go broke having to buy that much rum to pay you off :(

The big news of my summer was my 5 yr old grand-daughter learning how to row our rib. She'd rather blat around the bay with the 2.5 hp at full noise getting me wet but she knows that's only a reward for a successful rowing lesson. I'm actually more excited than when she took her first steps. Do I need help?

I was also doing market research on rowing rollups and ribs with my 4 and 5 year old. The little 2.0 donut is ideal for them and the 2.4 Puffin rib can fit the 2 side by side until they decide arguing is better......

It all went pear shaped when the 5 year old decided it was more fun swimming in her new lifejacket, and the 4 year old preferred me rowing him around all the moored boats so we could look at them. The things we do for market research!

Told her she could go for a row on her own as long as the dinghy stayed tied to the boat. Came on deck 1/2 hour later and she was miles away, took me all afternoon to re rig the boat as she had stripped every line she could find and tied them together.

post-3043-141887173173.jpg

Told her she could go for a row on her own as long as the dinghy stayed tied to the boat. Came on deck 1/2 hour later and she was miles away, took me all afternoon to re rig the boat as she had stripped every line she could find and tied them together.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The big news of my summer was my 5 yr old grand-daughter learning how to row our rib. She'd rather blat around the bay with the 2.5 hp at full noise getting me wet but she knows that's only a reward for a successful rowing lesson. I'm actually more excited than when she took her first steps. Do I need help?

No, you need to be award the NZMCS, The NZ Medal For Common Sense.

Have a couple of mates who are happy to let their kids motor off in the Ding without knowing how to row the buggers.

Mine were given zero motoring info until they proved they could happily row the ding/s and that included what to do if having a 25kt headwind at the same time. Only then were they shown motors and then I purposely didn't show things like checking to see if there was enuff fuel and so on. Learn by actual practice is the theory. After motoring the entire length of Issy Bay and then running out of gas they have upped their level of motor awareness a lot :) :)

It's knot what is fun about something it's what do you do when it goes bad.

But I did see one in a ding in Kawau wearing a life jacket, he stood out like dogs ball as he was about the only one in the entire place with one on :?

yep, but imagine if you got the photo of him without one....

a bloke could go broke having to buy that much rum to pay you off :(

Seeing the jacket on was a surprise to be honest, the guys no dick (don't tell him I said that) and I doubt many if any would recognise him under his silly hat but I suppose he felt he had to do the right thing. Hey, at least he's one bureaucrat (sort of) willing to follow his own rules (or sort of), that makes a pleasant change.

Archived