Why is this so cheap?

Farrari

That makes a good case for cruising with kids Squid!

Great to hear to strengthen my case here at home (altho we would plan to use the Coro school I think)!

Although it probably depends on the individual kids and parents involved a fair bit, some kids are always likely to thrive in many different environments.

Although kids are generally more adaptable than we think they are, far more than their parents often are anyway :)

We found the correspondence school mostly very good but if you are off-shore you only get three years free.

You can get around this by having an address in a remote part of NZ but that gets tricky when the kids want to write about camel riding in the Sudan. It does get quite expensive after the three years.

Most of the boats changed to the US based Calvert school to broaden what you can teach. Spanish seemed a good option and both our boys did that for the last two years. Also as the teachers on board get more confident they tend to make up curriculum to suit. You may only do "school" for a couple of hours a day but it is very intense with lots of one on one time. Academically all the children I knew did very well and our oldest talks about going cruising himself someday.

I know of one other Kiwi kid who was sitting NCEA while we were in the Cayman Is, he graduated with a degree in Physics and is doing some pretty high powered research now.

Archived