Farr 1020 code 0

A few may have noticed RaceTrack categorises boats performance in light, medium and strong breeze.

Lights basically 10kts or less, medium 11-20 and strong over 20.

It's only an approximation based on race committees recording wind strength as part of their results. percentages of races in each category :

Light Wgtn : 28.60% akl : 42.46%

Medium Wgtn : 44.89% akl : 41.22%

Strong Wgtn : 26.51% akl : 16.32%

Not quite sure what all this says about our Wellington brethren's delusions, I'm sure if I work on it, it will be something Derogatory and of course completely justified.

Dad and i are very happy with our 1st Port Nic regatta Bardy, it was great conditions and good comradere all round. We will be back next year hoping to improve.

Thanks Port Nic for a good regatta.

When it is too windy to race, do the race committee submit a wind strength? Or since there are no results to go into race track do those days not get counting in your percentages?

If they don't get counted that would explain why on the one hand I say the MetService says 172 days a year over 30 knots and on the other hand you have only 26% in the 'heavy' category... since you are collecting data only on days where racing proceeds, and not on all scheduled race days.

There are a fair number of days when it's well above 30 knots - Point Jerningham's wind charts on the rpnyc website (www.rpnyc.org.nz) regularly shows a steady average of 35 and gusts of 45 - 55 for 3 or 4 days at a stretch. Earlier this year the inshore forecast was for 75 knot gusts in the harbour and I went overwboard when Flying Circus got flattened by a 78 knot gust last year.

Only count the days when racing happens KB.

What, an admission that racing can be cancelled in Wellington, surely not ???

Not strictly true of course, Wellington types have confessed in the past that any racing under 55kts is regularly cancelled as too light for anything other than rum racing.

Only count the days when racing happens KB.

Right, thought so.

What, an admission that racing can be cancelled in Wellington, surely not ???

It's true! :D

Here's a day we decided not to venture out, filmed from my deck.

Not strictly true of course, Wellington types have confessed in the past that any racing under 55kts is regularly cancelled as too light for anything other than rum racing.

Hehehe. In all honesty, we start racing in up to about 35 knots. In those conditions there are regularly gusts of 50 - 55 knots coming out of Ngauranga and Korokoro gorges . The video above is looking down from the ridge on the western side of the Ngauranga Gorge. The gusts here often descend vertically and hit the water from nearly above, so you don't always see them coming. Having moved down from Auckland 2 years ago I am starting to get the hang of it.

The decals on the side of Airship give some good advice...

post-3053-141887173893.jpg

Archived