Farr 1020 code 0

Yes.

And then no.

If you were thinking of it for racing, wouldn't you become out of class configuration the minute you loaded it on board? So you might have the cruel pleasure of being first 1020 into Russell and yet ineligible for the class prize. Meanwhile the other designs in that size range would also have been all over you.

If you were thinking of it for cruising, the 0s don't squash down into a corner as readily as a kite does. So you might find yourself leaving something else at home.

I found myself thinking of your question from the perspective of "more beneficial than spending the money on a boom tent? new antifoul and a topsides cut-and-polish?"

Do you think having a code 0 in your sail wardrobe for a farr 1020 would be beneficial.

Thanks Paul.

It would be beneficial to the coffers of your mast maker, as you will find yourself needing a new one.

As a useful Rule bender around IRC then yes like the evolution boys did rating the MRX in with a number two then building a furling upwind "CodeZero" just like a number one :-P

We race our 1020 out of Wellington so we have all or nothing, and we dont do class racing, so i am trying to work out whether a code 0 is worth the investment. All our racing headsails are Evolution sails which are extremely fast, so i can get a code 0 from Rodney, but i am trying to find out if it is worth the investment as i am fairly new to the class.

I think the Code O that they used on the MRX for Bay week is heading down to Wellington for one of the boats down there, so you will be able to have a look at it.

yep, Ken Papps off flying fish has bought this sail which is the reason i am doing homework on this subject. The RPNYC regatta is this weekend so i might get to see the sail in action.

Murky

Having been in Tutukaka with you the other weekend in Wilma's rain shower, suggest you invest in the boom tent first!

Cheers

Pete

Boom Tents are slow !! :thumbdown:

Have just completed the first batch of BEAU FURLERS for small boats and will have the web site up and running by the end of the week.

Squid will have some info for all you code zero sailors soon.

We are taking an add on Crew. which will include a link to our site.

We have two on Tongue Twister on the masthead and fractional zeros.

( all we need now is a mast !! ) Thought I would add that before the Bushman did. :)

A code 0 for a 1020 under IRC I think has limited application. Sure at certain times it will be fast but I suspect the right conditions won't occur often enough.

Watching the MRX at BOI we saw them do a fair amount of practice sailing upwind before the start with the zero... However come the race even in 7-8 knots they were electing to use the No.2 Genoa instead. I think with the 75% midgirth and no battens you get a very flappy hooked leach when sheeted really tight. Prob work in the really light as the gain in boatspeed can offset the loss of height. The other thing that surprised me is how some angles I thought it would be a weapon (where you could hold a kite super shy) a spinnaker proved better.

Even though it would increase rating I wouldn't rule out measuring a No1 Genoa for IRC.

Wellington conditions of "all or nothing" mean what ??? 0-5knots or 30+ ???

Yes it means its either less than 5knots or more than 30knots. Hardly ever get the stuff in between (at least it feels like hardly ever) and it can go from one to the other VERY suddenly

As silverhail has stated, all or nothing means exactaly 5 knots or under or 30 plus, we dont really have a lot in between.I was hoping someone with a wealth of knowledge in farr 1020s like Cameron would answer this blog, thanks you have made my mind up for me.

Cheers Paul.

Next question is what is your percentage of "all" days to "nothing" days ??? It seems all of Wellington has optimised for "all"... could be something in going for the opposite and rating with the No.1 and cleaning up all the "nothing" days.

A 1020 is class trim with no.1 rates around .957 - .959

I am the other owner of Cosmic Thing and agree with Cameron. It is interesting that despite the all or nothing comments the majority of time we sail with the No 1 sail in 12 to 20 knots. If we were going for a rating the No1 would certainly be a good choice.

Rating a 1020 with a No.1 is hardly optimising for 5 knots..pron actually optimising for 10-17. But if all the others have optimised for 17+ then you will definately have an edge in 5...

You'd want to make sure the mast tube can handle the extra compression first. At very least you'd want to run a 2:1 halyard and also define the max parameters like TWS and angle. When designing new rigs a non Zero mast tube is a whole lot lighter then a with Zero tube, for good reason.

Yes it means its either less than 5knots or more than 30knots. Hardly ever get the stuff in between (at least it feels like hardly ever) and it can go from one to the other VERY suddenly

I was going to comment at the time that I disagreed with this, but I thought it would sound a bit pedantic. (Me? noooo....)

However having just sailed the Port Nicholson Regatta, and had 3 days of 9 - 22 knots, the first from the South, and the last two from the North, with the only other conditions the 0 - 5 knots variable in the change bewtween the Southerly and the Northerly on Friday afternoon, I feel it's worth pointing out how wrong this assertion turned out to be.

It was 3 mint days of sailing in a great Division 2 fleet of 18 boats. Included in the feelt were (I think) 4 1020s, and an MRX, 4 Y88s, 2 R930s a Farr 1104...

The Y88s spent almost the entire regatta sing number 1s. Whistler went for a number 2 headsail on the run out to Falcon Shoal in the harbour race on Sunday afternoon, as the forecast was for the Northerly to rise to 20 - 30 knots in the afternoon. It didn't, remaiing pretty constant at 12 - 16 knots, and Whistler got spat out the back door.

I'm wondering how Snowy and Warren feel looking back at the regatta about the choice now.

Disclaimer: I agree that it does blow 30+ a LOT of the time here in Wellington. Over 172 days a year according to the Met Service. What I am saying is that while it IS very windy a lot of the time it is NOT the case to say that the rest of the time it is 0 - 5 knots variable (although there is some of that too). 10 - 15 knots is not at all that uncommon, certainly not so uncommon that you don't want your sail wardrobe to include good cover for it.

Also, I will concede in advance that it is the first Port Nic. regatta anyone can remember where at least one of the days didn't have it blowing like banshee and/or called off because of high winds...

Archived