Westhaven hull cleaning options

3 hours ago, Norwegian Blue said:

What options are left for in-water hull cleaning at Westhaven (excluding me in winter ;-) ). My regular cleaner is no longer able to do this.

Wettie.co.nz do good wetsuits at good prices ;-)

I was in the water on Saturday and was fine in a 3mm steamer and 3mm hooded vest (boots and gloves). Its not cold until you need a 5mm steamer and an extra 5mm hood under your hooded vest.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, K4309 said:

Wettie.co.nz do good wetsuits at good prices ;-)

I was in the water on Saturday and was fine in a 3mm steamer and 3mm hooded vest (boots and gloves). Its not cold until you need a 5mm steamer and an extra 5mm hood under your hooded vest.

Nah, 7deg in east bay Queen Charlotte was the "cold" dive of the year, start of the scallop season. 7mm wetsuits in those days, now everyone wears semi or drysuits!

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Nah, 7deg in east bay Queen Charlotte was the "cold" dive of the year, start of the scallop season. 7mm wetsuits in those days, now everyone wears semi or drysuits!

Mwahaha, yeah, but we are talking Auckland here.

If the air temp drops to single digits (i.e. below 10deg) we think the world is ending, blame climate change, the motorways are blocked and the trains stop going. Southerns just put on a singlet and pair of stubbies and complain about the heat.

I learnt to dive in Wellington. Used a 7mm hooded top and 7mm long johns, so 14mm across the torso. Used to get a nose bleed from the cold shock when rolling in, which my dive buddy really hated (he watched Jaws...). Now the heaviest wetsuit I own is a 5mm steamer which pairs with a 3mm hooded vest for the depths of winter, but even then I hardly need that much. Hate getting hot in the water. These marine heatwaves haven't helped.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, K4309 said:

Anyway, I thought these crazy Norwegian types liked the cold? swimming in frozen water, having plunge ice baths outside the sauna and what not.

He’s not dead, he’s resting after a long squawk from diving in freezing water