Ross 930 Championships

Hi Knot

New to this web site and have just taken over Arch Rival. Would like to do the champs and think she is still Class. Just wanted to check the rules and see if everything’s covered. I don’t think Wazza, the old owner/Uncle reads this, but his most nosey crew member probably does (Hi Alan) and I think once the rum bottles are cleaned out and the sails are renewed (maybe not before March) that it may be able to do alright in the Class division. Only talking the boat not the crew, as we need more work than she does.

Also any idea of how many standard boats are left racing?

Oh crap, another 930 with a new and rocking paint job. I saw you in Kawau looking mighty fine with the new make-up on. I do like the colour choices and from knot to far of a distance it does make her look longer.

I'm 98% sure you are a Class boat. Now I've said that if I'm wrong there will be a few more than happy to point it out, I do have to be wrong one day :) I'll ask a few who will know.

Pedigree boats left.

Suburban Reptile - which is also the best looker :?

Rockweld

Local Hero

Start Me Up ----- if he isn't flying a kevlar looking main ;)

Elbow Room but for how much longer I'm knot sure but knot to long I hear.

Bondi Tram - now up Sandspit way

Lightfoot

Hotdogger - ????? subject to a safety inspection maybe ;)

There are more outside of greater Auckland so those are the ones that spring to mind that get out for a race here and there. There could be more. It is conceivable all of the above could be Nats starters. I'd say Rockweld and Local Hero are the ones to watch for... but ya just never know ;)

The mongrel, or Turbo as some like to call them ;), Div could be very interesting with recent changes to some boats.

Thanks knot

Great info. Bugger about Local Hero was hoping they were heavily modified maybe even with a very quiet racing motor or an elastic band stretched around the race track that they set free at the start line, as they kick our ass every week. Would be great to have a straight line drag with them all just to see what the differences are.

So which boat do you own?

Yes that LH is a slippery one I've also had issues with... like seeing too much transom way to much of the time. G does sail it very well, I think we need to knobble him :)

The best looking 930 out there, S Reptile.

Mean Streak is also standard - if he leaves the Masthead Kite at home.

She's far from alone and naughty I forgot her.

I think I'm the only one left that has zero masthead gear.

I'm knot alone even if 400mls from the other boat :) .... or closer at the moment to the bits of :(

Redline is a Class boat and a Cook Straight based one but currently a visitor up here until they go back down there to come back up here only to go back down there again. I wonder if the crew will get dizzy and just fall off :)

Hey Splash, apart from your funny shaped keel you are pretty much Class aren't you? And the keel was the old centreboard if I remember right.

Lightfoot has it moments. She sails out of Bucks so doesn't get to play with many others that often. Probably plays against me more than most in the Simrads and other assorted and usually short-handed events. I think my mantelpiece has a little more silverware on it that Neil's when talking head to head ;)

Lightfoot does get used a lot though, an awful lot, which is good to see. A lot of the time with Alaina aboard, Neil's daughter or close to. A good team when they get their boogie on.

Also LF has a inboard that is outboard. Where most of us keep our outboards they dropped in a small fixed motor with a retractable leg. I hear it works well but they now carry a 15kg odd penalty due to it. While strictly knot quite Class spec there I'd say she still is as the motor is in the same place as a Class one and being heavier gives no advantage, probably the opposite.

So any Nat entries being placed out there by anyone???

That was the plan Q. She's a bloody good weekend that and we have last years record to beat in Leg 2. This year we are aiming at catching 4 or more Kingfish on the way up to Kawau. We found catching only 3 didn't really give Shreks House or the R35 a fair chance to pull away from us :twisted: :lol:

But ..... we have a surprise development out of left field.

There is a few boats that look just like ours that need to be taught a lesson or 2 but unfortunately that's planned for the same bloody weekend.

A work in progress shall we say. Answer ETA inside 7 days.

Calm your roll JH, it's a 2 handed and I have already cultivated a victim ;)

Archived