southern 600

Charlatan is doing it.

Haven't seen an entry list. The series allows for one drop, so any of the Gold Cup / Balakovic Boats that didn't do White Island can still be in the hunt if you get organised.

I've got he southern Cross at 120nm and the Brin Wilson 150nm, but haven't checked the courses for a while...

Hay Jordan, the Southern Cross is not this Saturday but next...

last i heard the other day there were bugger all entrants and starlight pulled the pin.

could be doing the brin wilson in a 2x2handed style on pahi. with the booze bus meeting us at kauwau....or they take pahi 2 up and i take the booze bus. or on starlight...time will tell.

Any reports on the Southern Cross race?

yep, had a great kite ride to channel, an easy dead maggot to flat, a romantic sunset reach to the cow, flat water maggot back to the finish with a nice lefty to bend us round browns, finished 0644 Sunday.

A fantastic course, thanks to RAYC and Fendel who started us.

Everyone has their own reasons for not turning up, such a shame all the effort people go through to create a race and most of you are too busy to bother. That's your call.

We were all set up to do this, had the boat in Westhaven, had the bum clean etc.

Got called to Chch at short notice last Wednesday, for obvious reasons. Unfortunatley yacht racing doesn't stack up against other priorities. Got back alst night for a break but will be back down shortly.

Additionally a lot of the boats that do this type of racing are doing the RNI, several used WI as a warm up.

I really rate this series in the big scheme of 'descent' Coastal races and an avenue for crew to gain experince for bigger things. It would be great to see more support from boats next year, full credit to RAYC for developinghtis level of racing.

RNI clash did not help and ChCh did impact also for this race.

Still have the Brin Wilson on 25 March, which finishes in Kawau. Was great sail last year and and even better time in kawau so hopefully we will see a good number of boats this year. Even if you have not done any of the other S600 races this a goodie! BBQ at the Kawau Island Yacht Club on the Saturday night.

Details, NOR etc on www.rayc.org.nz

Brin Wilson is a great race, and the party at Kawau afterwards really caps things off nicely. Unfortunately Mr Roosevelt will not have its new rig in by then so will have to sit it out this year :( The home secretary advises that this is probably not a bad thing - obviously still recovering from the shock of dismasting.

Archived