Would you try this?

Guest Minicat

Go back to the heading.

"Would you try this :?: "

Of course I would try most things, if the opportunity arose.

The same question when applied to rum would have a stampede :clap:

I have sailed on some unusual boats with different rigs, different inflatable dinghys.

Speaking of which, one inflatable dinghy recently was a real bitch (can I say that?) to row. The seat placement, rollock/oar mounts were all wrong and I could not put my knees out of the way of the oars. So would I want to buy that brand/model/size :?: NEVER, especially with my knees :!:

Other brands no problems. So each to their own.

Of course I would try most things, if the opportunity arose.
And the sound of vomiting is heard NZ wide ;)

Interesting machine but defiantly in 'toys' category for me. Far better looking than others I've seen.

The problem with things like that often are cost and longevity. For the same or less bucks you can get a solid boat. But then it's hard to hump a PT up into some high country lake. Also many things like that just aren't build to stand up to kiwis doing it kiwi style in kiwi weather. Mind you there are more than a few solid import AWB's they fall into that comment as well ;)

The amount of gear on sale in NZ that is fine for a occasional potter around in overseas yet struggle big time in NZ is large and getting larger.

If I was going to import something like that I'd get one or 2 and be giving them a hell work out here 1st. You just don't want to fall into the 'Bugger all 20 went bad' trap. I suspect things like this could very easily end up in the hands of people with wealth hence have the ability to lawyer up easy if pissed off. In NZ law the importer is regarded as the manufacturer so if screwed by some pissed off punter you can't just throw your hands up and say go speak to whomever in whatever country. The Judge will say 'Sorry buddy, please pass me your cheque book, you go fight with whomever overseas if you like, it has squat diddly to do with this case'.

As I don't spend as much on rum as PaulR I can afford to say, that is my 5c worth :D

I think this would make a good second tender if you were heading to the islands. The fact it packs down and can be stored means it could be interesting. Someone is already selling these on trade me i think. Or at least it is much the same - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Small-sailboats/auction-360189559.htm

I don't know how many times i've sat in an anchorage wishing I had a small boat to explore an anchorage in silence rather than firing up the inflatable and outboard. We thought about taking a small sailing dingy but came down to room most of the time so this would fit the bill nicely. I've sailed one of these or simular overseas and it was certainly well made and of good quality.

The amount of gear on sale in NZ that is fine for a occasional potter around in overseas yet struggle big time in NZ is large and getting larger.

. . . .

As I don't spend as much on rum as PaulR I can afford to say, that is my 5c worth :D

Agree with you on first point . . . But totally disagree with second comment as i have no money :( .

Monday: Collected 1 x Black Heart Rum + 1 x Gordons Gin from PYBC :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tommorrow = 1 x Mt Gay Rum Thanks to Squid. :thumbup:

So no rum purchases this week required. :D

Have stocked up on Charlies LIMEade and even converted a few to this acquired taste :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guest Minicat

Thank you all for your comments!

As far as quality goes, the boats are made from high quality materials. There is a 2 years warranty on the product so they must be quite confident that it will last.

I agree that this is more of a putter around boat rather than serious racing cat. From the videos I watched you would say that it still have reasonable up-wind capability so I would think they would be suitable for exploring some nearby offshore islands or coastal bays. As you guys mentioned people here still have plenty of space to keep a proper sailing boat but it might be an option as a second boat?

I did not want to put here too many picture so as not to be accused of advertising (after all you can google anything these days) but I will upload at least one:

Laura Dekker sailing the inflatable catamaran

LauraDekkeronMinicat.jpg

Guest Minicat

Yes ab, the warranty is valid worldwide and there is a full list of spare parts and accessories that would be available too.

Archived