Deliveries North Is to South Is

tmouse

Alot of people opt to truck the boat to Mana and then rig and sail it across the strait. You could contact http://www.boathaulage.co.nz Never heard a bad story about trucking but heard plenty about people delivering other peoples boats. We sailed ours back from Auckland to Lyttetlon ourselves. Allow up to 1 - 2 weeks getting the boat ready for such a trip.

I bought my boat last year in BOI, sailed it to Auckland (half moon bay) hauled & trucked it from there to Manna, and sailed the cook straight back to Nelson. All sorted out in a week or so. Trick is to get the trucking as a backload. I used a Wellington based company who were delivering a boat from Welly to Akld & my boat was the backload for the return trip. Cost was about $2500 for a Ross930.

Stu

Sounds like a good enough deal , I would sail a boat there for slightly less than that, but you would have wear and tear on the gear, probably work out pretty similar.

Due to the increase in fuel cost, u will find by the time u pay rigger to remove mast at one end and re install mast at the other, plus cost to sail across the cook straight (if u pay someone), u wont get much change out of 6k+.

The good thing about road haulage is the low risk and no wear & tear.

On paid deliveries I like to get under way within 48 hrs. :D

Actually I guess it depends on each boat and up to the person delivering it to decide if any work needs doing:).. In our case: Remove diesel bug, install autopilot, service engine etc.. there quite was a big list, but its not all bad as it gets your boat upto scratch.

They have a crane at Mana they let you use if you want to step the mast yourself.

One boat that came down had soft spots in the hull where it was against the pads on the cradle on the truck, must have been rocking.

Archived